Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identifying shoot-thru hull transducer
07-29-17, 10:56 AM
Identifying shoot-thru hull transducer
I purchased a 2002 Grady White 330 Express with a shoot-thru transducer mounted (interfacing to a RayMarine L760). I am getting nothing on the L760 for sonar images. Looks like an original install, but I can't find any identifying marks. Any ideas?

Q1: Any way to identify this transducer from the picture?
Q2: There is a light oil in the transducer mounting 'tank'.. its not 100% full. Should I top it up and with what?
Q3: Is there a way to diagnoses if a Transducer has failed without busting the transducer out of its tank?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-17, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-17 12:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Identifying shoot-thru hull transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jmoudy,

Q1: Any way to identify this transducer from the picture?
A1. Thru-hull transducers are designed to be installed in a manner that the transducer's stem passes through the hull permitting the transducer to be in direct contact with the water. In-hull transducers are designed to be installed within a reservoir produced by the transducer's manufacturer. Such reservoirs are designed for use with hull constructed of solid fiberglass (i.e. no core material) and typically require that the hull be less than 1" thick in the mounting location. Depending upon the transducer manufacturer's specification, the reservoir will be filled with either RV antifreeze or mineral oil. Please note that the transducer within your photo was designed to be installed as a thru-hull, not an in-hull transducer. Raymarine in-hull transducers are designed such that the transducer may be removed from the reservoir for inspection/replacement. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how one may identify the model of fishfinder transducer which has been installed within the reservoir which has either been constructed by the manufacturer or through an aftermarket installation.

Q2: There is a light oil in the transducer mounting 'tank'.. its not 100% full. Should I top it up and with what?
A2. You may want to consider having the reservoir's oil analyzed to determine exactly what it it presently contains. See the response to Q1 regarding what such reservoirs are typically filled with. Proper operation of an in-hull transducer is dependent upon having a full reservoir.

Q3: Is there a way to diagnoses if a Transducer has failed without busting the transducer out of its tank?
A3. It is recommended that the reservoir be topped off and that the fishfinder then be tested. Please click here to view a FAQ how the fault may be isolated to the transducer or fishfinder.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply