Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] AP upgrade, what needs to be replaced?
07-31-17, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-20-18 03:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] AP upgrade, what needs to be replaced?
I have a 2001 Simrad system on my 42' sailboat. The control unit had a crack and got saturated and it fried. Replacement parts impossible to find and about $1K if you do. So, thinking to upgrade the whole thing with RayMarine as we upgraded everything else over the lat two years (sailing instruments, eS7, radar, VHF, ect.).

My question is; what do I have to replace?

1. Compass - yes
2. Control Head - yes
3. Pump - I don't know
4. Ram - I don't know
5. Rudder position indicator - I assume so
6. Resvervoir - I don't know

Can you please help with #s 3, 4, 5 & 6?

Thanks,

Barry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-17, 10:28 AM
RE: AP upgrade, what needs to be replaced?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Barry,

Q1. My question is; what do I have to replace?
A1.
1. Compass - yes ... correct, replace EV-1 CCU
2. Control Head - yes ... correct, replace with p70S
3. Pump - I don't know ... it may be possible to retain the hydraulic pump for use with the Evolution autopilot. There is no need to replace the steering the vessel features hydraulic steering. Please indicated whether the vessel features hydraulic steering and if so, then please respond with the model of pump and the cubic capacity of the steering ram which is currently installed onboard.
4. Ram - I don't know ... There is no need to replace the steering the vessel features hydraulic steering.
5. Rudder position indicator - I assume so ... correct, will be replaced with the rudder reference transducer packaged with the autopilot
6. Resvervoir - I don't know - The is no need to replace the steering the vessel features hydraulic steering.
08-01-17, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-17 02:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Chuck. I'm getting you the details on the pump.
08-01-17, 02:35 PM
You're welcome.
08-09-17, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-17 09:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, the ram is a hynautic K3 with a capacity of 29 Cu, In. The pump is a Robertson RPU 160. Flow Rate at 10 bar is 98 cu. in/min and the max pressure is 60. Boat displacement is 19700.

The boat actually has rack and pinion steering but the AP is all hydraulic.

So can the ACU control this equipment and what will I need to replace?

Thanks again.
08-14-17, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-17 03:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Barry,

Given the specifications provided, it would be recommended that a T70161 EV-400 Sail be purchased for use with the currently installed hydraulic drive.
08-17-17, 09:40 AM
Thanks again, Chuck.

I just read about the R4 update to the AP software (http://sailinganarchy.com/2017/08/16/lea...g-to-them/)

Is R4 part of the EV-400 package? I was a little unclear from the article.

Cheers,

Barry
08-17-17, 10:59 AM
Barry,

Purchased Raymarine products will typically be programmed with the latest software available at the time that the product was manufactured. Should some time elapse between production and the time that the product has been purchased, then the product's software may need be updated. Evolution autopilots are designed to be updated by any Raymarine MFD having a SeaTalkng communications interface. Should one's vessel not feature such a Raymarine MFD, then it would be strongly recommended that the dealer be instructed to verify/update the autopilot's CCU, control head, and ACU software before providing the product to you.
08-18-17, 07:02 AM
Thanks. After this AP putchase, I'll be 100% Raymarine including an eS MFD so it sounds like I'll be good to go.
08-18-17, 07:35 AM
You're welcome.