Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV-100 and GPS data
08-02-17, 01:44 PM
EV-100 and GPS data
I connected my EV-100 to a third party HDS 7 chart plotted with a NMEA 2000 connector/wire spliced to a seatalkng spur cable. Wire colors were the same except for the yellow one which I did not use since the NMEA 2000 cable had no yellow wire. It appears to be working, I think. The chart plotter appears on the seatalknn network as Lowrance HDS-7 and I now get data from the chart plotter SOG, COG and depth reading on my P70Rs. However when I entered a track pattern on the P70 it gave an alarm 'no navigation data'. This was done at dockside, I have not done sea trials on it yet. Question- is there a way to verify if I am receiving position data from the chart plotter on the P70 (software v3.07). I went through all the data boxes on the P70 most navigation parameters were there for selection except the all important position data. I also went through the data sources P70 menu and selected HDS-7 for GPS data. I am assuming position data would be part of the NMEA 2000 data strings.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-17, 02:44 PM
RE: EV-100 and GPS data
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum colbournee,

Based upon the information supplied, the autopilot appears to be communicating with the HDS-7. Although the p70/p70S/p70R/p70RS autopilot control heads are not designed to display latitude or longitude, communications with a source of GPS data has been verified through successful execution of source selection and population of the SOG data item within the autopilot control head. It is recommended that you ensure that your Evolution autopilot components have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates and a Pilot Factory Reset be performed. After doing so, the Dockside Wizard should be executed, the vessel should then be take out for a cruise within the specified speed to complete determination of the magnetic deviation sensed by the EV-1 sensor core.

Upon completion of the above, navigation (ex. go to cursor position / waypoint or follow route). It should then be possible for the autopilot to enter Track mode.
08-04-17, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-17 03:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok the autopilot seem to be working excellent. Went out for further testing with the chart plotter interfaced. When I enter track mode to follow a route it will do it but when the boat reaches the next waypoint it waits for me to confirm 'continue to next waypoint' I have to hit 'ok'. In there a setting for it to autotrack to the next waypoint without user input. That's what is desirable.
08-04-17, 03:51 PM
colbournee,

Q. When I enter track mode to follow a route it will do it but when the boat reaches the next waypoint it waits for me to confirm 'continue to next waypoint' I have to hit 'ok'. In there a setting for it to autotrack to the next waypoint without user input.

A. For safety reasons, Raymarine autopilots require confirmation of the heading change from the vessel/system operator. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
08-04-17, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-17 04:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Really! that's not what I expected. I thought my planned route would be much-much more safer than continuing on course if no user input. Isn't that the idea. I thought the whole idea was to navigate to a destination under auto pilot control. Off course maintaining helm outlook, that goes without saying. You sure about that ? I talked to other boaters and that's not what they tell me.
08-14-17, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-17 04:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
colbournee,

Indeed such unacknowledged steering would pose a safety issue. Don't confuse route planing which navigates around fixed hazards and operation which may not only involve a fixed planning, but also involves a collision component which can't be planned for. Boating laws require that a proper lookout be maintained. Should it be unsafe to execute the turn at a waypoint because of risk of collision with another boat or hazard, then it would be the operator's responsibility to:
- ensure that it was safe to continue on the present course to execute the turn at a later point, or
- command the autopilot into Standby mode and take the helm, or
- slow or stop the vessel until such time that it is save to execute the turn.

I recommend that you consult with the USCG should you have a differing viewpoint on this subject. Until such time as integrated collision avoidance products for the recreational marine market achieve the capabilities of driverless automobiles, this restriction will continue.