Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eS98 and eS127 MFD's - Interrupt Problems?
08-14-17, 03:28 PM
eS98 and eS127 MFD's - Interrupt Problems?
Is there a known problem with conflicts or interrupts when switching on eS MFD and related devices?

I have an eS98 (data master) and an eS127 installed on my boat. I have Navionics and C-Map chart cards. Navionics is normally selected. The Navionics charts are updated to Freshest Data. My instruments are ST60 and my autopilot is ST7002 (I think). There is a SeaTalkNG adaptor in the system. My AIS is a Vesper XB8000.

I recently ran into a problem with getting both eS MFD’s to carry out Navigation Follow Route functions and to display AIS targets. I selected Navigation/Follow Route/Select Route/Follow Forward or Backward. I expected to see the chart with the route displayed. That did not happen. Selecting either Forward or Reverse did not result in anything happening. The screen stayed on the Follow Forward or Backward selection.

In an attempt to fix the problems I deleted all routes and waypoints and re-loaded Lighthouse version 19.03. I also re-synched routes from my iPad (Navionics app) to the eS98. I confirmed with My Data that waypoints and routes were present. The Navigation functions then worked as expected when a route was selected. I switched everything off until the following day. Upon switching on the next day (separate breakers for chartplotters/radar/instruments & autopilot/AIS) I found that once again I could not get the Navigation functions to operate.

After a week of sometimes working and sometimes not I accidently discovered that if I switched on the eS98 (master) and let it completely boot up, then the same with the eS127, then the breakers for radar, autopilot/instruments and AIS one at a time, both MFD’s then worked perfectly.

My assumption is that I must have previously been switching everything on too quickly, resulting in conflicts or interrupts. I wonder if this is a known problem and, if so, is it something that is fixable in a future software release.

Many thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-17, 01:35 PM
RE: eS98 and eS127 MFD's - Interrupt Problems?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

Generally speaking, initialization issues may arise if the operator attempts to interact with any of the MFDs within the system prior to the time when the Data Master MFD has completed its initialization. Within our offices and within Raymarine product installations (including my own boat which is equipped with five MFDs running LightHouse II v19.03), the product power buttons are not used to power the equipment ON/OFF. Instead, the power supply or power circuits supplying the marine electronics are instead switched ON/OFF. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should you be following these recommendations, then it would be recommended that you attach a GPX file containing your waypoints/routes and specify the route which you had last encountered the problem with, then we will attempt to duplicate the problem within our system.
08-16-17, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-17 02:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, many thanks for the welcome and the excellent reply addressing the start up issues I encountered. I have read through the FAQ you referred me to and reviewed your reply comments. All makes sense. I think I must have been switching on the breakers for vhf/ais, autopilot/instruments and radar immediately after pressing the mfd power buttons and thus not letting the mfd's fully initialize. Henceforth I will leave the mfd power buttons in the on state and use the dedicated circuit breaker to turn the two mfd's on and off. I tested this aboard my boat today and I am delighted to say that everything was working as it should.

Thank you again

Mike
08-16-17, 02:12 PM
You're welcome.