Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
p70s Set-Up Questions
07-11-17, 03:33 PM
p70s Set-Up Questions
Q1. Is there a "best choice" between selection of a Preferred Data Source versus selecting the "Auto" select when only one source of a data type exists in the system (e.g. one GPS, one wind instrument, one EV-1 heading,etc)? Would benefits be faster boot speed or better error identification?

Q2. Other than by seeing magnetic heading on the p70s from the EV-1 to check out the network, can the Axiom 9 show the p70s in the Home>Settings>Network menus? It seems to show only the data master and data sources (not control heads).

Many Thanks Again (as always)
Dan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-17, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-17 01:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: p70s Set-Up Questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dan,

Q1. Is there a "best choice" between selection of a Preferred Data Source versus selecting the "Auto" select when only one source of a data type exists in the system (e.g. one GPS, one wind instrument, one EV-1 heading,etc)? Would benefits be faster boot speed or better error identification?
A1. Most operator will not need to select data sources for the system. Should only one source of any of the listed types of data be present within the system, then the Data Sources feature would not be used.

Q2. Other than by seeing magnetic heading on the p70s from the EV-1 to check out the network, can the Axiom 9 show the p70s in the Home>Settings>Network menus? It seems to show only the data master and data sources (not control heads).
A2. The initial release of LightHouse 3 software have had very limited diagnostics in comparison to the MFDs which preceded them. Increased diagnostics capabilities will be made available through future LightHouse 3 software updates. As you have suggested, the diagnostics features of the p70/p70S, p70R/p70S, and i70/i70S products may be used to for testing communications with other devices which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
07-21-17, 08:20 PM
Thanks again professor Chuck!
Dan
08-06-17, 07:56 PM
In s/w v3.06 Autopilot Calibration>Speed Input Source I see Auto/STW/SOG/Cruise Speed. A recent A/P thread implied that STW is the best setting for the EV-1/ACU-100/MKII wheel pilot. I also read somewhere (that I looked all over for and cannot find again), that AUTO would select either STW or SOG based on a criterion. Can you point me to the discussion of how this works and the trades please? The EV-1 would have both SOG and STW available on the STng network with the p70s set to slow turn sailboat (hunter 36). In sea trials this weekend, the EV-1 showed to be a nice improvement over the S1.
Thanks
Dan
08-14-17, 04:19 PM
Dan,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
08-14-17, 07:55 PM
Thank You Chuck.
So if one of the two sources is selected, e.g. STW, does the AP permanently ignore GPS SOG? I wondered if it crosschecked the two sources occasionally, especially when current set and drift data is available from the MFD?
Dan
08-15-17, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-17 09:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dan,

Q. So if one of the two sources is selected, e.g. STW, does the AP permanently ignore GPS SOG?
A. Yes.
08-15-17, 06:58 PM
Very good. I must see to it I keep my speed transducer paddle wheel clean!
Thanks Chuck
08-16-17, 07:44 AM
You're welcome.