Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help selecting a transducer
08-17-17, 07:37 PM
Help selecting a transducer
I purchased a Raymarine Axiom 7 (E70364-2) that came with CPT-100DVS transducer. I will be using my boat mostly on a shallow river as well as on a chain of lakes that are not deeper than 10-15ft but a lot of times less than that. I'm mostly interested in seeing the bottom and not necessarily fish finding.
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth buying a thru-hull transducer to replace the transom mount one in this situation? Would I gain anything?
Is CPT-110 compatible with my unit?
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-17, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-17 11:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Help selecting a transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum steaua1986,

The imaging produced by the thru-hull and transom mounted transducers should be virtually identical when operating speed where fishing occur (i.e. below planing speed). The primary reasons which would drive one to opt for a thru-hull transducer include the following:
- vessel is equipped with inboard or water jet propulsion
- vessel's hull features steps
- vessel's hull features trim tabs
- vessel's hull features thru-hulls thru-hulls forward of the transom
- hull design prevents transom mounted transducers from maintaining bottom contact at planing speeds.

The A80277 CPT-110 is indeed compatible with Axiom DV MFDs.
08-22-17, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-17 01:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the detailed response. In my situation, only the last reason would maybe apply, but I don't believe it's anything that would prevent me from mounting the transducer in anyway. Since mainly I'm concerned about planning speed, would the thru-hull buy me much? Can the transom mount be installed in a way to achieve similar performance (don't loose bottom)?
08-22-17, 02:50 PM
steaua1986,

Q1. Since mainly I'm concerned about planning speed, would the thru-hull buy me much?
A1. It may be the difference between maintaining bottom contact and not maintaining bottom contact a planing speed.

Q2. Can the transom mount be installed in a way to achieve similar performance (don't loose bottom)?
A2. Hulls vary with regard to the maximum speed which may be attained before an installed transducer loses bottom contact. The best advice is to install the transducer per the instructions packaged with the transducer. Please click here to view a FAQ with addresses this subject and provides additional recommendations for installation of transom mounted transducers.
08-22-17, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-17 08:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for all your help. I think I'll buy the CPT-110 and sell the transom mount that came with the kit just to be safe.
08-23-17, 08:55 AM
You're welcome.