Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV-100 and multiple data sources
08-21-17, 06:03 PM
EV-100 and multiple data sources
I have successfully connected both my Lowrance HDS 7 and Nobeltec (via Actisence 183 converted) charting systems with the EV-100 via the seatalk-ng network. With both systems (Nobeltec and HDS 7) up and running I can initiate a route with the HDS 7 but if I try to initiate the route with Nobeltec the P70Rs reports 'no navigation data' and returns to standby mode. If I turn off the HDS 7, Nobeltec works fine.

It's like the AP is preferring the HDS data over Nobeltec even though I get the same error when I select data source on the P70 for GPS to Actisence NGW-1-STNG.

Why does HDS 7 work and not Nobeltec with both running?

Is there a way to fix this problem short of disconnecting the HDS from the network? I would like to run my HDS chart plotter while also navigating with Nobeltec.

There is a section in the P70 manual that refers to multiple data sources (MDS) but I don't understand it in this case.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-17, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-17 10:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: EV-100 and multiple data sources
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum colbournee,

I suspect the problem is resulting from looped NMEA 0183 data. In such a situation, the Lowrance MFD may be looping (re-transmitting) received NMEA 0183 communications from the Nobeltec software. Such issues are not uncommon in systems featuring NMEA 0183 communications featuring more than one chartplotting device. This problem may be resolved by installing switch(es) which will only permit one of the two NMEA 0183 talkers from transmitting to the NMEA 2000 backbone. Alternatively, you may want to check the configuration settings of the Lowrance MFD or Actisense Mux (assume that one has been dedicated to the Lowrance MFD) to determine whether one of these devices may be configured to not transmit or not bridge NMEA 0183 sentences containing navigational data.

The autopilot's MDS feature would not be applicable to this issue.
08-22-17, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-17 10:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
In my setup, the Nobeltec charting system is connected to the seatalkng backbone via the Actisence NGW-1-stng NMEA 183 to NMEA-2000 converter. I assume that only NMEA-2000 data is transmitted to the Backbone in this case. The Lowrance HDS is connected directly to the backbone via its MNEA-2000 port (using a devicenet type cable). Under this setup is it possible to have 183 data entering the backbone?

If I have to resort to a switch, where exactly would I place it. I would assume in either the black or red wire within the devicenet cable, is that correct?
08-22-17, 10:38 AM
Raymarine cables, as well as those of most manufacturers of NMEA 2000 networking products utilize a white lead and a blue lead for the cable's data (CAN-H and CAN-L respectively).