Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HS5 network switches
08-28-17, 04:14 PM
HS5 network switches
I want to connect 2 Raymarine hS5 SeaTalk network switches together. Do they BOTH need to be powered when connected throught the 100 Mbps ports?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-17, 03:54 PM
RE: HS5 network switches
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum OneandAll,

Raymarine's Axiom MFDs and a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs feature 100Mbps Ethernet Network ports. Should the system feature Axiom MFDs and a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs and two HS5 RayNet Network Switches, then it would be recommended that the Gigabit port of one HS5 RayNet Network Switch be connected to the second Gigabit port of the second HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The Ethernet ports of Axiom MFDs and a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs will not be operational when the system's Axiom MFDs and a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs have been switched OFF.

Raymarine's gS-Series MFDs feature Gigabit Ethernet Network ports. Should the system feature gS-Series MFDs, then it would be recommended that the Gigabit port of HS5 RayNet Network Switches be interfaced to the Ethernet port of a gS-Series MFD and that the gS-Series MFDs then be daisy chained to one another (i.e. Gigabit port to Gigabit port). Unlike the Ethernet ports of Axiom MFDs and a/c/e/eS-Series MFDs, the Ethernet ports of gS-Series MFDs will remain operational when the MFD has been switched OFF.
08-30-17, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-17 08:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck - Thanks. Yes, I get the switched off / on bit but do I need to have 12V power cables connected to BOTH HS5's? In other words does daisy chaining 2 switches work when done via the 100 Mbs connector with only ONE HS5 switch hardwired to power (and switched on of course)?

BTW - I have e-series and a-series (125 / 68 / 65's). n
08-31-17, 08:40 AM
OneandAll.

Q. Do I need to have 12V power cables connected to BOTH HS5's?
A. The HS5 Network Switches are not designed to be powered over Ethernet. Accordingly, each HS5 RayNet Network Switch must be powered via the Power Cable supplied with the switch.
08-31-17, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-17 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks - this is now 100% clear! No PoE, so will hardwire to my system. Suggest a modification to the manual / installation instruction as this is currently not clear (hence my questions).
08-31-17, 10:39 AM
You're welcome