Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transferring GPS data from a-series to NMEA vhf
03-18-16, 11:22 AM
Transferring GPS data from a-series to NMEA vhf
Trying to get my a--series chart plotter to send coordinates to my Standard Horizon VHF. I am using the NMEA adaptor and cable, DSC alerts is on on the chart plotter, green LED on the adaptor is signaling everything is ok, but the radio says Invalid, No Position Data.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-16, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 08:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Transferring GPS data from a-series to NMEA vhf
Welcome the Raymarine Forum krchnavek,

Please note that communications between the SeaTalk to SeaTalk Converter and a NMEA 0183 listener (ex. DSC VHF radio, etc.) is one way ... from the Converter to the NMEA 0183 listener. Using this interface the Converter would be able to supply the VHF radio with GPS data to support transmission of your vessel's coordinates within RF transmissions from the DSC VHF radio. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Should you have interfaced the MFD to the DSC VHF radio according to the instructions provided within the referenced FAQ and should you MFD's GPS Status dialog (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->GPS SET-UP) be reporting that it is receiving a GPS position FIX and should the problem persist, then please specify
- the model of the third party DSC VHF radio which has been interfaced to the Raymarine equipment,
- the colors of the third party DSC VHF's radios leads which were mated to the cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
03-18-16, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-16 04:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,
First, thank you for the quick response. I understand that the converter is a one-way device. Also, my MFD had a solid GPS fix. I am not sure if this happens in the first 20 seconds though.

The radio is a Standard Horizon GX1280S. It is about 11 years old. The colors on the wires are Green and Purple, not Gray and Purple. I had the same color question when I hooked up my Garmin MFD to the radio many years ago, but it worked. I cannot test it now since I replaced all my Garmin equipment with Raymarine equipment.

Thanks for the help.
Bob
03-19-16, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 08:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bob,

It is not necessary for the MFD to acquire a GPS position FIX within the first 20 seconds. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, should the ST-STng Converter (updated with v1.21 or later software) not detect communications from a SeaTalk device via its SeaTalk port within the first 20 seconds, then it will transmit the NMEA 0183 GPS sentences specified within the referenced FAQ at 4800 BAUD. Should your VHF radio support use of the sentences listed within the referenced FAQ, then the NMEA 0183 OUT+ (red) lead of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable would be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 IN+ (blue) lead of the SH GX1280S. Additionally, the NMEA 0183 OUT- (yellow) lead of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable would be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 IN- (green) lead of the SH GX1280S. The colors specified for the SH GX1280S have been taken from page 12 of its manual. Should the colors of your VHF radio differ from this document, then it is recommended that Standard Horizon be contacted for clarification.

The ST-STng Converter may be tested by connecting an analog voltmeter to its red and yellow leads. The meter's needle should pulse between +3 to +5 VDC when the MFD has acquired GPS position FIX.
03-25-16, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-16 05:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Thank you very much for your help. The problem was I had the two wires reversed. Everything works fine and I also updated the software on the MFD as well as the converters. Everything is up to date and works. Again, thank you.

Bob
03-26-16, 05:01 PM
You're welcome.