Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[CA] New System
09-11-17, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-18 11:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] New System
I will be replacing my 1999 Raymarine systems with all new stuff. The boat is a 1999 Sea Ray 370 express. Here is what I am considering:

2 - Axiom 12 displays
1 - Evo - T70154 - ECU 100 - Autopilot
1 - Quantum Q24C 18” Radar

Here is question. The boat is specifically used for Salmon Fishing on Lake Michigan.

What is the best option?

Option 1 CP470 with dual Transducers?

Option 2 Utilize one of the Axiom's with its fish finder and dual transducers for 3d?

Option 3 CP570 with dual Transducers?

My old boat had a CP300(w b60) and a CP100 with 2 C12's. The performance was ok for both. Not as good as I expected.

Please let me know what the best cost effective option will be.

Thanks

Eric

1999 Sea Ray 370 Express Cruiser Hardtop
Twin 8.1 Horizons, ZF Hurth Transmissions,
Axiom Pro 12
Axiom 12
Quantum II Radar
Real Vision 3D
1kW CHIRP sonar
B275 Transducer
Ray 60 VHF
ACU 150 Autopilot
P70R
Smart Remote

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UKDm91zlSwlPhCQ12
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-17, 02:55 PM
RE: New System
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Eric,

Q1. The boat is a 1999 Sea Ray 370 express. Here is what I am considering:
2 - Axiom 12 displays
1 - Evo - T70154 - ECU 100 - Autopilot
1 - Quantum Q24C 18” Radar

A1. Before getting into the fishfinding features, it may be that you have selected an under-sized autopilot. What is the cubic capacity of the vessel's steering ram?

Q2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the maximum operational depth of RealVision 3D and DownVision. While both DownVision and the B60 with a DSM300 may have been a bit over matched for a lake having a maximum depth of a little over 900', I believe that the CP570 may be overkill for this application. Similarly, RealVision 3D is designed to support use in depths up to 300'. While supporting the depth range for for much salmon fishing in these waters, the strength of RealVision 3D and DownVision is in finding and identifying bottom structure. Accordingly would favor to the CP470 with a CHIRP transducer pair.
Find all posts by this user
09-12-17, 09:03 PM
Chuck

Thanks for your reply

The boat currently has a Raytheon Raypiliot 650 that works very well. The pump was recently replaced, so I may not need to replace it. Could I just get a EVO unit and reuse the old pump?

With regards to the Fishfinder. Which transducers would you suggest with the CP470? I currently have a L1250 with a through hull transducer with fairing block.

Thanks

Eric

Axiom Pro 12
Axiom 12
Quantum II Radar
Real Vision 3D
1kW CHIRP sonar
B275 Transducer
Ray 60 VHF
ACU 150 Autopilot
P70R
Smart Remote

09-13-17, 09:31 AM
Eric,

Q1. The boat currently has a Raytheon Raypiliot 650 that works very well. The pump was recently replaced, so I may not need to replace it. Could I just get a EVO unit and reuse the old pump?
A1. The currently installed hydraulic pump may quite possibly be re-used if a pump of the correct size was installed ... hence my request for information concerning the vessel's steering ram. The type of pump combined with whether the vessel features a 12V or 24V electrical system will in turn determine which Evolution autopilot components will be needed.

Q2. With regards to the Fishfinder. Which transducers would you suggest with the CP470? I currently have a L1250 with a through hull transducer with fairing block.
A2. I'm a little confused as you had indicated that the currently installed transducer was a B60. Please examine the tag affixed to the plug end of the transducer's cable and respond with all information printed on the label in order that we may positively identify the transducer.
09-13-17, 11:02 AM
Chuck

The B60 was in my previous boat. I'll find out what the model number is of the transducer in my 370.

I'll look at the Pump and Ram tonight and get an answer to you.

Thanks

Eric

Axiom Pro 12
Axiom 12
Quantum II Radar
Real Vision 3D
1kW CHIRP sonar
B275 Transducer
Ray 60 VHF
ACU 150 Autopilot
P70R
Smart Remote

09-13-17, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-17 01:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I also use my electronics for Salmon fishing in Lake Michigan and have upgraded to an Axiom 12RV on my 1990 SeaRay 350 Express. (Same hull as your 370)

My current Transducer setup is as follows:

1) B744V (50/200Hz) connected directly to Axiom using Raymarine Y Cable
2) RV-220 - Raymarine Bronze Realvision through hull transducer pack connected to Axiom using the Y Cable

Here are my observations on Lake Michigan in regards to Salmon Fishing and the functionality of my system.

High Frequency Chirp - I can only access High Frequency Chirp if I disconnect the B744V transducer and the Y cable from the Axiom. My plan, if I liked High Chirp was to add a CP370 DSM for the B744V so that I could retain High Chirp on the Axiom. While High Chirp was slightly better at marking fish than the B744V it will not register my downrigger cannon [censored]. I like being able to see where my downriggers are so have decided that not supporting high chirp is not an issue for me.

Sidescan - Not important for Lake Michigan Salmon Fishing

Chirp Downvision - Not important for Lake Michigan Salmon Fishing

Realvision 3D - Love it! Knowing the actual depth of fish and the position to the side of the boat is great. I also love the fact that it saves their GPS position so that when I circle around to the pod of fish i can see them coming on the display and try and drag the boards running the depth of the marks over them.

I have also found that the performance of my B744V interfaced to the Axiom is much better than when it was hooked to my DSM30. I run a 3 window splitscreen with Realvision3D, 200khz and 50 khz.
09-13-17, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-17 01:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ruder,

Thanks for the first hand experience and recommendations. As a CP470 and CHIRP transducers may always be added later, Eric may want to try using the Y-Cable identified by Ruder with the currently installed transducer (should it be a compatible 600W or 1kW 50kHz / 200kHz transducer).
10-02-17, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-17 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Q1. I finally got the boat out of water for the year and was able to get in the back to look at the pump and ram. See attached Pics. The pump is a Type 1R and the Ram is a Sea Star BA135-7ATM

7" Stroke
8.3 cu.in. Displacement
1.375" Body Dia.
0.625" Shaft Dia.
Torque @ 1000psi @ 35° = 5741in/lbs

What autopilot should I get?

Axiom Pro 12
Axiom 12
Quantum II Radar
Real Vision 3D
1kW CHIRP sonar
B275 Transducer
Ray 60 VHF
ACU 150 Autopilot
P70R
Smart Remote

10-03-17, 10:42 AM
West32,

The Type 1 Hydraulic Autopilot Pump within your photo is indeed the proper pump for a Seastar HC5313 hydraulic cylinder per the information found here. This 12V pump would be interfaced to and Evolution Autopilot consisting of the following components:
- EV-1 CCU
- p70RS or p70S Autopilot Control Head
- ACU-150
- SeaTalkng networking components required to create a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone having sufficient spur sockets to interface the above listed components and Data Master MFD each as a spur to the backbone.
10-12-17, 05:26 PM
Ok, I dug into the dash today. Looks like I have a B256 (E66024) transducer currently hooked up to a DSM250. See Pics.

Can I re-use this transducer with the axiom? If not, what Transducer should I get?

Also, there is another transducer mounted on the other side but not connected to anything - Raytheon G624599 - It might have been connected to the Tridata display at one time. Maybe I can use that [censored] for the real vision transducer?

Please let me know

Thanks

Eric

Axiom Pro 12
Axiom 12
Quantum II Radar
Real Vision 3D
1kW CHIRP sonar
B275 Transducer
Ray 60 VHF