Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA 183 Interface
04-08-16, 10:18 AM
NMEA 183 Interface
I am moving the thread from the previous thread concerning powering a NMEA 2000.

As Chuck suggested I tried connecting the NMEA Port 1 input and output of my eS127 together and then viewed the buffer. I am seeing both the input and output in the buffer and have discovered that when the plotter translates the GPS data to the 183 port it also include it's talker ID of $EC to the front of the sentence.

Can the eS127 be programed or changed to not include its Talker ID for any data that it doesn't originally produce?

It is going to cost me an additional $400 and labor to make this work around.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-16, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-16 12:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: NMEA 183 Interface
John,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to configure the MFD in the manner which you have suggested. As indicated here, the NMEA 0183 ports of the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs will CORRECTLY transmit the "EC" NMEA 0183 talker ID if the internal GPS receiver of the MFD has not been selected as the GPS data source for the system. Should an external GPS sensor be supplying the system with GPS data and your NMEA 0183 listener (DSC VHF radio, SSB, etc.) require the "GP" NMEA 0183 talker ID in transmitted GPS sentences, then the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter solution specified within the referenced FAQ would need to be implemented. You may alos want to consider lobbying the manufacture of the NMEA 0183 listener to support use of NMEA 0183 GPS data sentences including a NMEA 0183 Talker ID other than "GP".
04-09-16, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-16 09:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

You can rest assured that I have approached ICom.

From your comment I take it that if I were to use the internal GPS on my eS127 that the plotter would then send out GP without the EC added.

Thanks
04-11-16, 09:46 AM
John,

Yes. Should the internal GPS receiver of the MFD be selected as the source of GPS data for the system, then the MFD will indeed transmit NMEA 0183 GPS data sentences featuring the "GP" NMEA 0183 Talker ID. That said, an external GPS is typically installed onboard the vessel because the MFD's installation location does not afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. Should the MFD's installation location not afford it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it may not receive sufficient GPS signal strength to acquire and maintain an accurate GPS position FIX.