Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question/suggestion on System Upgrade (partial or full?)
09-15-17, 10:11 AM
Question/suggestion on System Upgrade (partial or full?)
I just purchased a 1997 Sea Ray 330 EC. I believe it has all of the original Raymarine electronics and they all work (just very outdated).

It is equipped with Ratheon XX Radar, Raystar 112 GPS, R10XX Raster Scanner, Raychart 601XX, Raymarine L750 Fish Finder, ST60+ Tridata, Ray210 VHF Radio, Raypilot 650 Autopilot with Seastar HC5312 (7.2 cubic inch) hydraulic steering and Type 100 ACU (I think).

I'm investigating options and trying to decide on a partial upgrade or a full system upgrade. It feels like the Autopilot is a limiting factor based on cost. It's a really nice feature but I'm not sure I will use it very much. Can the existing Autopilot be integrated into a new system with an MFD with Radar, Chartplotting, GPS, Sonar? What alternatives do you suggest that I investigate further to determine my upgrade direction.

Thanks for the help!!! I'm obviously a newbie.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-17, 10:11 AM
RE: Question/suggestion on System Upgrade (partial or full?)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum sberens,

It is quite possible that the autopilot may be able to be interfaced or adapted for use with new equipment. While you have identified the model of autopilot control head which is installed onboard the vessel, we will need to know the model of autopilot course computer which is installed onboard.

Similarly, ST60+ instruments may be adapted for use with currently manufactured equipment.

The currently installed fishfinder transducer will need to be replaced. Is fishing a priority use for the vessel? How deep are the waters to be fished? Are there any other requirements / features which you desire in the replacement devices?

Are you seeking an open array radar system or a radome?

Will you be seeking to replace the VHF radio ... recommended, as all current VHF radios now support required DSC communications.

How many displays are you seeking to install? What are the maximum dimensions permissible for each display?
09-26-17, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback and your help!

I will have to dig to find the model of the autopilot course computer. The only number that I can see is "Type 100 12V". How would I interface to a new MFD?

How would I interface to the ST60+?

Fishing is not the top priority but it will be used on occasion in the Great Lakes (Lake Michigan) with water depth generally less than 300 feet but up to 500 feet.

I currently have an older radome and am probably looking at replacing with similar (maybe Quantum) as I prefer better detail close in during poor visibility conditions.

The most important features that I really want are GPS and Radar. Additional desires would be around speed, temp, depth, engine monitoring (two 7.4L Mercruiser MPIs) and easily viewable screen.

I can also update the VHF radio.

I would really like one giant display to allow split screen and detailed viewing. However, probably looking to have two smaller MFDs side-by-side. Space shouldn't be a big concern. Guessing two 9" MFDs.
09-26-17, 08:37 AM
sberens,

Q1. How would I interface to the ST60+?
A1. This would be accomplished via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. Fishing is not the top priority but it will be used on occasion in the Great Lakes (Lake Michigan) with water depth generally less than 300 feet but up to 500 feet.
A2. Noted.

Q3. I currently have an older radome and am probably looking at replacing with similar (maybe Quantum) as I prefer better detail close in during poor visibility conditions.
A3. Noted. Quantum has excellent performance at close ranges.

Q4. The most important features that I really want are GPS and Radar. Additional desires would be around speed, temp, depth, engine monitoring (two 7.4L Mercruiser MPIs) and easily viewable screen.
A4. All Raymarine MFDs are designed to support chartplotting features when a chart card is present within the memory card reader of one of the MFDs and the system is receiving GPS data via the internal GPS receiver of one of the MFDs or from an external GPS sensor (ex. Raystar 150 GPS Sensor ... the latter may be necessary if the MFDs will be installed in a location which does not afford at least one of them to have an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. When networked together via an Ethernet network, the Axiom Pro S MFDs will share all system resources (except for NTSC/PAL video sources). It is recommended that a pair of Axiom Pro S MFDs and a compatible CHIRP transducer or compatible 600W or 1kW 50/200kHz transducer (a less expensive alternative) be considered for the vessel.

Regarding engine interfacing, Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the subject of interfacing the engines. Should the engines feature Mercury's SmartCraft technology, then Mercury Marine's SmartCraft to NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway would be recommended. Should the engines not feature SmartCraft technology, then it is recommended that Fox Marine be contacted to determine whether their engine gateway may be applicable to your Mercruiser engines.

Q5. I can also update the VHF radio.
A5. A Ray60 or Ray70 (the latter has a built in hailer feature) would be recommended for this applications.

Q6. I would really like one giant display to allow split screen and detailed viewing. However, probably looking to have two smaller MFDs side-by-side. Space shouldn't be a big concern. Guessing two 9" MFDs.
A6. Noted. Then a pair of 9" Axiom Pro S MFDs would be recommended for this application.