Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonfly 5 Pro with Nav+ Does Not Display Sonar Chart Data
09-22-17, 02:38 PM
Dragonfly 5 Pro with Nav+ Does Not Display Sonar Chart Data
A little more than a month ago I purchased Dragonfly 5 Pro with Navionics+ card and have been using it with the preloaded Navionics nautical charts. Up until a week ago I have never downloaded or updated anything on my MFD or Nav+ chip. I recently downloaded several sonar charts from Navionics using their Chart Installer application. When I go into Chart Settings / Chart Selection on my MFD I now show SonarCharts in addition to Nautical Charts. I selected SonarCharts, but no sonar chart data displays. A base map with only white space and a few coarse pink lines that may be road beds or creek channels displays for those lakes. (Chart Detail is set to High on the MFD.) Navionics Support has verified that my sonar chart downloads were successful. Their most recent suggestion was to re-format my Nav+ chip and reload it from scratch, which I did but still have the exact same problem. Nautical charts are fine, sonar charts are blank. Navionics located a Dragonfly unit in house and downloaded the sonar charts for those same lakes. They display fine on their Dragonfly. They are out of ideas and so am I. Has anyone had this issue or can anyone offer any suggestions? Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-17, 10:54 AM
RE: Dragonfly 5 Pro with Nav+ Does Not Display Sonar Chart Data
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tim,

First, it is recommended that you verify that your Dragonfly display has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates, and if not update its software accordingly. Should the display be operating with the latest software, and should the problem persist, then the display's microSD memory card reader should be tested to ensure that it is operational (recommend testing by commanding the MFD to save a screen snapshot a microSD memory card within its reader ... if unsuccessful, it will respond accordingly). Should the display's microSD memory card reader be determined to not be operational, then the display and chart card should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. Should the above have all been satisfied, then it is recommended that rather than downloading the SonarCharts for individual lakes onto you Navionics chart card, that the chart card's contents be erased via the Navionics Chart Installer and that the Navionics chart card then be populated with Navionics Nautical Charts and Sonar Charts your state and the bordering states around you. Should the problem persist thereafter, then please identify the name of the lake and state in which it is located in order that we may attempt to duplicate the problem.
09-27-17, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-17 08:31 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks for the welcoming.

Previous to my posting this issue, I had already upgraded to the latest Dragonfly software. My MFD came with 12.09 and I updated it to 12.20. As per the update instructions, I backed up my waypoints to another microSD card, then I downloaded 12.20, installed it and restored my waypoints verifying that my MFD's microSD memory card reader can both read and write.

The good news is that your suggestion to erase all Navionics data through the Chart Installer app and to download/install the nautical and sonar charts for several states worked! For every lake that I checked I was able to display both nautical and sonar data with the sonar data displaying once I zoomed in to the 2000 ft level.

Just satisfy my curiosity, I used the Chart Installer app to again erase all Navionics data and tried to load the nautical and sonar charts for just one lake. Once again the sonar chart was blank and even the nautical chart for that specific lake had far less data then with the original nautical data that came with the Nav+ card. So then again I used the Chart Installer app to erase and downloaded a larger area (several states). As expected, everything worked fine.

Thank you!
09-28-17, 08:31 AM
You're welcome.