Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failing depth sounder ouput
10-09-17, 05:48 PM
Failing depth sounder ouput
I recently purchased a 2008 boat that was equipped with Raymarine equipment. And this is my first time on this board. i'm looking for some advice on a problem with the depth information displays. Currently the system general will display the depth up to 40 or so and then goes away on both the ST 60 display and the E120 MFD sonar display. The broker I purchased the boat from replaced the DSM 300 unit with a CP370 and stated that this should take care of it. While the replacement seems a bit more stable, it still loses the depth signal/data. The transducer on the boat is a B744v bronze thru-hull miltisensor.

I've reset the E120 to it's default settings and have reset the CP370, but no improvement.

Any suggestions on next steps to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-17, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-17 10:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Failing depth sounder ouput
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Angelo,

It is recommended that you verify that within the Fishfinder Settings of the Fishfinder application that you have configured the Transducer settings to specify that the sounder module has been interfaced to a B744V/V744VL transducer. If so and should the problem persist, then it is recommended that it be verified that the transducer cable has not been modified or damaged and that you take a photo of the transducer's tag (located on the plug end of the transducer's cable) and attach it to your response to this thread. Please additionally specify whether the problem is observed when operating in deep water when the vessel is drifting with the engine(s) and all other electrical circuits switched OFF. If so, then it would be recommended that the transducer be tested. Should the transducer be found to pass testing, then it would be recommended that the CP370 be replaced or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
12-03-17, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-17 03:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

I did verify the E120 was specifying the correct device (B744V). Also attached are a couple of photos taken of the transducer that you requested. if this not what you requested, let me know.

Just to share my more recent experiences. Just outside of our marina, past the Navy pier, the bottom goes from 30 to 40 feet to below 200 feet in a matter of a 200 yards or so. The depth sounder reads leaving the marina and stay well behaved until 60'. Below 60', the reading stop (both the sounder image display and the digital readouts). I tested this by exiting and returning to the marina several times and at different speeds (4 knots to 12knots, its a trawler.) Coming back in, at about 60' in would acquire the signal and both the display and digital readout would provide depth readings. I the tests it was surprisingly consistent at loosing and reacquiring the signal at +/- 60'. I've been trying to figure out if there is some setting that I'm missing that has a value of 60'.

What would you suggest as next steps.

Cheers,
Angelo
12-04-17, 04:00 PM
Angelo,

It is possible that there may be an issue with the 50kHz of the DSM or the transducer. I would recommend starting by configuring the Fishfinder application's settings to operate a 50kHz while in depths less than 60'. Should the Fishfinder application produce bottom depths less than 60',then it would be recommended that you test 50kHz again in depths greater than 200'. Should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that the DSM be tested with another compatible transducer which had simply been suspended over the side of the hull while the vessel was adrift in depths greater than 200'. Should the problem not be observed, then it would indicate that the currently installed transducer has suffered a failure. However, should the problem persist, then the DSM should be replaced with a CP370 Sounder Module.
12-04-17, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-17 04:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, Thanks for the response. Will undertake your suggestions.

Cheers,

Angelo
12-04-17, 04:27 PM
You're welcome.