Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Networking two e97 MFDs
09-25-17, 05:46 AM
Networking two e97 MFDs
We have purchased two E97 MFDs. One is to be dedicated to Charting and the other dedicated to Sonar (Fish finder). We have no other electronics on board to network into these MFDs. These are already installed and have individual power connected and working. We are not using any of the data lines that is bundled into the power cable. From what information I am able to get from this forum, it appears that a SeaNet cable is what we need to buy to connect the two units so that we can share Waypoints. The Fishfinding mode is very good at picking waypoints as we travel over a spot that has a good bottom and need to get that number over to the Charting MFD. My questions are

1. Is the SeaNet cable the best way to connect the two MFDs?
2. Does it matter which SeaNet connector we connect this cable to on the back of the MFD?
3. Does the software automatically detect the multiple MFDs and prompt the user to Master/Slave relationship?
4. How does a user determine which MFD SD2 card is used for waypoints and screen capture?

Is there a user manual or some installation guide that I may have missed that would help us through this installation?

Thanks Chuck
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-17, 12:49 PM
RE: Networking two e97 MFDs
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Semnet,

Q1. From what information I am able to get from this forum, it appears that a SeaNet cable is what we need to buy to connect the two units so that we can share Waypoints.
The Fishfinding mode is very good at picking waypoints as we travel over a spot that has a good bottom and need to get that number over to the Charting MFD.
A1. You're on the correct track. The MFDs will be interfaced to one another or each to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q2. Is the SeaNet cable the best way to connect the two MFDs?
A2. See the response to Q1.

Q3. Does it matter which SeaNet connector we connect this cable to on the back of the MFD?
A3. Per the response to Q1, the RayNet Cable will have a Female RayNet plug on each end.

Q4.. Does the software automatically detect the multiple MFDs and prompt the user to Master/Slave relationship?
A4. Yes. It is critical that both MFDs have the same version of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software installed within them.

Q5. How does a user determine which MFD SD2 card is used for waypoints and screen capture?
A5. Screen captures may only be saved to the microSD memory card within the reader of the MFD which you are interacting with.

Q6. Is there a user manual or some installation guide that I may have missed that would help us through this installation?
A6. Information concerning how the e-Series MFDs may be interfaced to one another and to the system's other devices may be found within the a/c/e-Series MFDs Installation Guide. Additional information regarding networking (Ethernet, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, SeaTalk, and NMEA 0183) and the associated networking components may be found here.
12-04-17, 07:17 AM
Hi Chuck
So I have successfully networked two e97 MFD using a RayNet cable. Defined on e97 as the data master.

A new question arises. What is the SD1 (map) and SD2 (data) used for on the non-data master e97 used for? The non-data master e97 is for charting and the data master e97 is used for fish finding with sonar.

The second question is one of control. It appears that there are redundant controls on the two e97s. So can I be charting on the Charting (non data master) e97 and navigating to a waypoint and at the same time use the Sonar (data master) e97 controls to do something like enable a track or add a new waypoint?

Are there any redundant controls that are forbidden to use?

Best
Steve
12-04-17, 04:24 PM
Steve,

Q1. What is the SD1 (map) and SD2 (data) used for on the non-data master e97 used for?
A1. The chart card(s) need not be inserted within the Data Master MFDs's memory card reader unless you are planning to operate the Data Master MFD while the non-Data Master MFD is switched OFF. As cartography is shared between the MFDs, should you have a chart card(s) containing another type of compatible cartography (ex. LightHouse, C-Map, etc.), then these chart cards may be inserted into the memory card reader slot of MFD within the system which is switched ON.
Onboard my own boat I operate with LightHouse, Navionics, and C-Map simultaneously within the system.

Q2. The non-data master e97 is for charting and the data master e97 is used for fish finding with sonar.
A2. Should a microSD card be inserted into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader, then it may be used to save screen captures of the Fishfinder sounder imagery, etc.

Q3. The second question is one of control. It appears that there are redundant controls on the two e97s. So can I be charting on the Charting (non data master) e97 and navigating to a waypoint and at the same time use the Sonar (data master) e97 controls to do something like enable a track or add a new waypoint?
A3. Yes.

Q4. Are there any redundant controls that are forbidden to use?
No.