Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] EV-1 mounting
08-07-16, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-18 10:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] EV-1 mounting
I am starting the installation of an Evolution Autopilot on my boat and would like some advice on a mounting location for the EV-1. The boat is a Sea Ray 340 Sundancer. I am thinking about mounting the EV-1 on the underside of the radar arch, directly in the center. This location seems like an ideal location away from any potential interference. I do plan to add a Raymarine radar later this year and it will mount on top of the arch on a pedestal directly above the EV-1. Do you think a radar will cause interference problems for the EV-1. The radar will be a Q24C, RD418HD or RD418D. Thanks for any advice
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-16, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-18 10:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] EV-1 mounting
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum crosscr,

The mounting location which you have suggested would be atypical. Following installation of a radome or open array pedestal (the design of these devices includes an electric motor (i.e. source of magnetism)), it would almost certainly not be a suitable location for the EV-1 Sensor Core. It is recommended that a vertical bulkhead mounting site be located below decks which is at least three feet from ferrous materials, devices featuring magnets (pumps, motors, speakers), high current drawing devices and the cables feeding such devices. Sea Ray may be of some assistance in identifying a location to install the EV-1 Sensor Core.
04-06-18, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-18 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Couple of questions related to the same topic:
Does the Quantum Radar also put out the same interference. Can the EV1 be placed in close proximity to the Quantum?

Also, does the boats factory installed compass interfere with the EV 1 as well? Considering a mounting location that is close to the compass as well.

Thanks in advance.
04-06-18, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum madifonzo78,

Q1. Does the Quantum Radar also put out the same interference. Can the EV1 be placed in close proximity to the Quantum?
A1. Irrespective of whether a radome or open array pedestal features a magnetron, CHIRP technology, or is from a third party manufacturer, magnetic north seeking devices such as the EV-1 CCU should not be installed within 3 feet of such devices. As indicated within my earlier response to this thread, the design of radomes and open array pedestals include an electric motor (i.e. source of magnetism)).

Q2. Does the boats factory installed compass interfere with the EV 1 as well? Considering a mounting location that is close to the compass as well.
A2. Not likely.