Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrading my system
10-03-17, 09:24 AM
Lightbulb Upgrading my system
I recently purchased a 2000 Doral 360se and it was outfitted with the following Raymarine/Raytheon products;
RL70 CRT display
M92650 Radar
Raystar 114 Combined GPS and differential Beacon Receiver
St5000 Autopilot

At this point I am unsure of each components working condition as the previous owner had equipped the boat with a separate chartplotter from standard horizon and hadn't used the Raymarine products since he owned it.

My marina offered me a classic C80 (stand alone) MFD with power cable only and I was wondering if my radar was compatible with it or would I have to upgrade? Also would my autopilot and GPS be compatible or would I need to upgrade those as well.

Any light you could share on it would be very helpful.

thanks
Andrew
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-17, 02:39 PM
RE: Upgrading my system
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andrew,

While the M92650-S would have been compatible with a C-Series Classic MFD, the M92650 would unfortunately not be compatible with a C-Series Classic MFD. The C-Series Classic MFDs have been retired for more then ten years now and Raymarine has not produced radomes with which a C-Series Classic MFD would have been compatible with in almost as long. Should the autopilot actually be a ST5000+ rather than a ST5000, then it would be possible to interface the C-Series Classic MFD to autopilot via their respective SeaTalk communications interfaces. If not, then these products would have to be interfaced to one another via their respective NMEA 0183 communications interfaces.

Both the ST5000 and ST5000+ may be adapted for use with Raymarine's latest generations of MFDs (i.e. Axiom and Axiom Pro). Should the GPS sensor be operational, then it too may be adapted for use with the Raymarine's latest generations of MFDs. However, given the cost differential of adaptation vs. new GPS sensor, coupled with performance improvements in the latest generations of GPS sensors, you may be better served replacing the Raystar 114 with a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor if upgrading to an Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD.
10-05-17, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-17 10:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Well I confirmed last night that the Radar coupled with the RL 70 functions just fine. It's unfortunate that it is not compatible with the C-Series MFD.
I did also confirm that the raystar 114 is no longer functioning (MFD reported - 'NO FIX'). Can I upgrade to a RS130 or should I use the RS150? Is there one that is an option for both the RL70 (which could be used for the short term) and C80 MFD? The marina wants $375 for the used C80 unit but then I still need to buy charts and a GPS antenna (not to mention the radar would have to be upgraded as the current one isn't compatible).
Lastly the autopilot is a ST5000+ and appears to be functional. Maybe moving to Axiom MFD with an SRr150 might be a smart upgrade.
thanks for your help
Andrew
10-05-17, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-17 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andrew,

Q1. Can I upgrade to a RS130 or should I use the RS150? Is there one that is an option for both the RL70 (which could be used for the short term) and C80 MFD?

A1. The RS130 has been superseded by the RS150 and may no longer be available in your area. Irrespective of which of these GPS sensors is obtained, either GPS sensor may be used with the RL70 and C80 to supply GPS data to both products. Unlike the RS130 and RS150 which support SeaTalkng communications, the RL70 and C80 supported the earlier SeaTalk communications protocol. Accordingly, the C80 and RL70 would need to be interfaced to an unpowered SeaTalk bus which in turn has been interfaced to a powered SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.