Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 (NG) MFD reboots when connect to SeaTalk Network
10-08-17, 07:04 PM
A7 (NG) MFD reboots when connect to SeaTalk Network
I had an existing Sea Talk Wind/depth/speed network when I bought my boat. I added an EV-100 autopilot and A7 MFD (both NG). I bought the Sea Talk 1 to NG "converter" and everything auto-magically connected great. I was able to interact with the auto pilot from the MFD, and read speed/wind/depth data also from the MFD.
Then I "fixed" it. The MFD was displaying distance in statute miles, and I was able to discover this was because my knot meter was driving the system. So I made some corrections, and all seemed well at the dock.
But now, anytime I turn all on, the MFD reboots at the point that it seems to be digesting the network information. The A7 starts up, finds it's position, then reboots... all day long.
I've found that if I disconnect the MFD from the network, all works fine. I can use all of the systems and see all displays, but naturally I liked having the information available on the MFD (e.g. wind speed, select an auto pilot go-to point from the MFD). But, as soon as I connect the network cable to the back of the MFD, it reboots again.
I have only 1 MFD (A7) on the boat, the EV-100, the 3 separate Wind, speed, depth systems, and the Sea Talk 1 to Sea Talk NG converter kit.
Any thoughts on what I need to change to make everyone happy? (I don't remember everything I tweaked when I fixed it, and I really do want knots and Nautical miles to be used on the MFD...

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-17, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-17 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: A7 (NG) MFD reboots when connect to SeaTalk Network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mickey,

It is recommended that you verify that the SeaTalk bus is receiving power exclusively from the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. This may be verified by simply unplugging the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's yellow SeaTalk socket. After switching all marine electronics circuits ON, should the SeaTalk instruments power ON as well, then the SeaTalk bus would be verified to be receiving power another sources ... this second power source must be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus.

Should the SeaTalk instruments remain OFF when tested in the manner specified above, then it would be recommended that the MFD then be switched ON to determine whether it operates in a stable manner. If so, then it would be recommended that you verify that the MFD and all devices which the MFD has been interfaced to be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates and if not, that the software within the system's device be updated accordingly. If operating with the latest software within each of the system's devices and the MFD continues to be unstable, then it would be recommended that it be temporarily disconnected from the SeaTalkng backbone and that a System Settings Reset (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->SYSTEM SETTINGS RESET) be performed to correct the reported problem. However, should the problem persist when the MFD is once again connected to the SeaTalkng backbone, then it would be recommended that SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be disconnected from the system, leaving the MFD interfaced to the autopilot. Should the MFD then operate in a stable manner, then the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. However, should the MFD continue to function in an unstable manner, then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
10-09-17, 10:07 AM
Thanks. Question though. The Sea Talk network pre-existed the NG equipment (naturally). I'm using the existing Sea Talk power source for the NG network. I added a power circuit to the auto pilot drive, and a separate circuit for the MFD. But the EV-100 head is getting it's power from the Sea Talk circuit through the Sea Talk to NG converter.

I'm assuming that I'll have to follow the trouble shooting in the second paragraph. I'll get to the boat in a few days to check. I'm unclear on how to update the SW on the three pre-existing Sea Talk devices (Speed, Wind, Depth). I'll research that aspect.

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
10-09-17, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-17 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mickey,

Under rare instances do we support backfeeding a SeaTalkng backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter ... this is typically limited to system featuring a backbone consisting of no more than a couple of SeaTalkng devices and the owner has no future intentions to expand the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to include additional devices. You may find the FAQ addressing this subject here.
10-09-17, 06:38 PM
Last question until I get back to the boat. If I disconnect the power currently supplying the Sea Talk legacy network, is power to the NG network available from the A7 MFD power source to power everything? I thought that the separate power to the A7 was required, as power to the MFD was not supplied via the network.
I'm wondering if I don't enable the breaker for the legacy Sea Talk, will power from the MFD be available through the MFD network connector to power the EV-100 P70 head, and through the Sea Talk to NG converter also power the Sea Talk instruments?
Or, do I need to add a new power source to the NG network, and not use the power source from the old Sea Talk network?
(Hope this all makes sense..)

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
10-10-17, 08:17 AM
Mickey,

Q1. If I disconnect the power currently supplying the Sea Talk legacy network, is power to the NG network available from the A7 MFD power source to power everything? I thought that the separate power to the A7 was required, as power to the MFD was not supplied via the network.
A1. Raymarine MFDs are neither designed to be powered by a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, nor to supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Accordingly, the backbone is will be powered via the SeaTalkng Power Cable included within the backbone kit supplied with the EV100 Autopilot. Per my prior response and previously referenced FAQ, the current source of power for the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected, permitting the SeaTalk bus to be powered from the SeaTalk backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
10-13-17, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-17 09:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I disconnected the wire from the yellow socket when all was powered up. As expected, all instruments remained on, both the 2 new NG Auto Pilot and A7, and the pre-existing ST60 Wind, speed, and depth instruments. This was expected because I added the EV-100 AP and A7 to the existing Sea Talk network, not the other way around as you suggested. I did power up the A7 and autopilot power and kept the Sea Talk network switched off, and the Sea Talk instruments remained off.

So I jumped to the last piece of advice, and I reset the A7 System Settings. When I reconnected the A7 back to the network it recycled again.

So I can use all of my instruments, but if I connect the A7 to the network, it still recycles, all day long.

Mickey D
O'Day 322
Mt Sinai, NY
10-16-17, 10:22 AM
Mickey,

If after disconnecting your MFD from the SeaTalkng backbone, the autopilot control head communicates properly with the other Evolution autopilot components and with the SeaTalk bus, then the problem would appear to be rooted within the MFD or within the SeaTalkng networking components used to interface it as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the problem be isolated to the MFD, then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

From the standpoint of powering the SeaTalkng backbone and SeaTalk bus, it is recommended that you follow the recommendations specified earlier within this thread.