Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeaTalkng power vs power from the distribution panel
03-21-16, 01:37 PM
SeaTalkng power vs power from the distribution panel
On my seahood above the companionway I have an I50 speed and depth as well as an I60 wind instrument. The transducers are all connected directly to these instruments. The three instruments are attached to a 5-way connector which has a SeaTalkng backbone connection to a T-connector behind my nav station where the 12v distribution panel is. From a 5A breaker on the panel I have attached a power cable to the T-connector and a blanking plug. This has been in place for over a year and working fine.
I am now adding a Ray60, eS75, and a Quantum radar as well as a AIS and Fusion radio. All of these instruments will have power supplied directly from the panel.

My question has to do with power supply. My current instrument setup has a 5A circuit attached to it as described above. If I want to share data across the established SeaTalkng network with the new equipment will that not also supply 5A to the new equipment? It seems I will be powering them from two different sources (direct from the panel and via SeaTalkng). How do I power the existing setup and network it to the new equipment?

I did find this in the eS series instillation documentation “Devices that have a low draw can be powered from the network, although high current equipment will need to have a separate power connection.” I interrupt this to mean that the 5A SeaTalkng circuit connected to the Ray60 VHF for example will not interfere or cause damage even though I will be connecting a 10A circuit to the power supply of the VHF directly from the panel.

Please clarify.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-16, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-16 10:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: SeaTalkng power vs power from the distribution panel
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum TributeJ42,

Q1) If I want to share data across the established SeaTalkng network with the new equipment will that not also supply 5A to the new equipment?
A1) No. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, the MFD, VHF radio, AIS receiver/transceiver, radome, and Fusion radio should each be powered via the respective product's power cable leads or power terminals.
03-24-16, 07:32 AM
Chuck,

Thanks for the reply. My intention is the power the AIS, VHF, Radar, etc. from the distribution panel with the appropriate breakers.

Let me simplify my question:

When I plug the SeaTalkng network into my AIS/VHF/MFD/Radar will the 5A that is being carried on the network to power my I50/I60 sailing instruments cause any damage to the AIS/VHF/MFD/Radar that are individually being supplied power directly from the panel?

Thanks.
03-24-16, 08:22 AM
TributeJ42,

Q. When I plug the SeaTalkng network into my AIS/VHF/MFD/Radar will the 5A that is being carried on the network to power my I50/I60 sailing instruments cause any damage to the AIS/VHF/MFD/Radar that are individually being supplied power directly from the panel?
A. Absolutely not. Should the same equipment be supplied with power from the same battery bank (via the distribution panel) to the marine electronics, then you should be all set.
03-24-16, 09:35 AM
Perfect. Thanks so much for your help!
03-24-16, 10:15 AM
You're welcome.