Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erratic output from ACU 400
10-31-17, 11:40 AM
Erratic output from ACU 400
I have installed an ACU 400 and EV1 with a type 3 hydraulic linear drive on my boat which worked well for the first 12 hours or so but now is giving an erratic output. At first the drive would run the pump smoothly but now it is jerking the wheel sometimes violently with the output swinging rapidly between +/- 22 volts. I have tried 2 different rudder references and no rudder reference but it doesn’t change anything. When I changed the electronics I kept the old autopilot in place with a transfer switch so that it can be used as a stand alone back up incase of failure to the new autopilot or stng network. When I switch the system back to the old pilot it runs smoothly so I dont believe that it is a problem with the pump, rudder reference or power supply which just leaves the ACU 400 or EV 1. How can I troubleshoot them to see if they are functioning properly?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-17, 02:33 PM
RE: Erratic output from ACU 400
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

What version of software are installed within your Evolution autopilot components? Does the marine electronics system feature a speed through water transducer?
11-01-17, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-17 09:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The ACU 400: v2.23
EV1: v2.18
p70s: v3.07
All softwares have been updated using the wifi link.

I also having a problem with the itc5 on the network which is giving me two fault messages on the leds. The speed/temp led is showing vessel speed time out and the speed through the water is under reading by up to 40%. The wind led is showing wind speed time out and no windspeed was being shown using the r28170 short arm transducer. I have changed this to the long arm transducer, not sure of the serial number on this one, and now the wind speed is reeling up and down between 15-90 knots.
On the first passage we made with the new electronics, the autopilot started off working very smoothly but half way through the passage started this jerky movement getting progressively more noticable and now on the dock is becoming violent.
We tried to get the pilot to sail to the windvane and set this on the short cut key. When we tried to use this it showed the correct wind angle on the display but when engaged would just steer to full lock in the wrong direction.
I tried exchanging the itc5 and got the same led fault lights.
Do you think that the two issues are connected?
11-01-17, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-17 10:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Andy,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Given the problem reported with Speed (Through Water (STW)), it would be recommended that the autopilot be configured to use GPS SOG rather than STW until the STW problem has been address. Before doing so, should the EV-1 autopilot software have been updated from v1.11 or earlier software and should a Pilot Factory Reset have not been commanded, then it would also be recommended that this action, re-execution of the dockside wizard, and re-execution of the deviation / handling cruise be performed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Given that the iTC-5 has been replaced, the Speed / Temp transducer / transducer insert may have suffered a failure. In order for the iTC-5 to properly sense STW, both the speed and temperature sensing elements of the speed / temp transducer / transducer insert must be functioning properly. Should the sensed temperature be wildly inaccurate (differ by tens or even hundreds of degrees), then the iTC-5 will interpret this condition as one in which the iTC-5 has not been interfaced to a speed / temp transducer / transducer insert. Additionally, STW must be calibrated via the i70/i70S MFID.
The following FAQs may be of assistance in testing an instrument speed/temp transducer:
- Testing an instrument speed through water transducer / transducer insert featuring a paddlewheel
- Testing an instrument water temperature thermistor
As we desire to restrict threads to a single subject within the Raymarine Forum, should additional guidance on correcting the STW or wind problems be required, then please create a separate threads within this Forum to be dedicated to these issues.
11-01-17, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-17 01:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I changed the speed setting on the autopilot to SOG and the pilot is still acting in the same manner.
I will do a factory reset, dockside set up and re-calibrate the auto learn function of the pilot next time we take the boat out and let you know if this helps.
Thanks.
11-01-17, 01:05 PM
Andy,

After doing the Factory Reset ..., please be certain to change the speed setting back to SOG until such time as the STW issue is resolved.
11-04-17, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-17 09:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Going back to my original question, how can I check to see if the EV1 is working correctly, eg is it getting a good enough signal? The manual tells me the correct led sequence to show that it is networked on the stng network, but does this also show that it has a clear enough sky view or that it is functioning properly? It currently shows a constant green light.
We did the factory reset, dockside calibration and auto learn linearisation for the autopilot again but the same problem occurs. The pilot starts off holding an ok course then the wheel starts to turn port/starboard rapidly. The speed is set to SOG like you suggested.
Another problem we had with the pilot was that we couldn’t get it to sail to the windvane, in windvane mode the display showed the correct wind angle but as soon as it took over it put the wheel hard over and we had to press standby to regain steerage.
We will be taking the pilot and the itc5 to a service center on Monday to get them bench tested and at least check to see if the fault is in the hardware. In the meantime if you have any more suggestions for troubleshooting I would appreciate them.

Thanks, Andy.
11-06-17, 10:25 AM
Andy,

Q1. Going back to my original question, how can I check to see if the EV1 is working correctly, eg is it getting a good enough signal? The manual tells me the correct led sequence to show that it is networked on the stng network, but does this also show that it has a clear enough sky view or that it is functioning properly? It currently shows a constant green light.
A1. The EV-1/EV-2 CCUs are not GPS sensing devices and as such, recommendations for GPS sensing devices (ex. providing an unobstructed view of the skies overhead) do not apply to the EV-1/EV-2 CCU. From a sensing standpoint, the EV-1/EV-2 CCUs are designed to function as the autopilot course computer, as well as to function as the system's magnetic north seeking sensor and roll/pitch/yaw sensor. Communications with the EV-1/EV-2 CCU with the other system's components which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone may be verified by listing the devices sensed by the autopilot's control head (MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTIC->ABOUT SYSTEM). Following the brief cruise to determine the deviation table, the maximum sensed deviation may be access via the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTIC->ABOUT PILOT. It is desirable that this value be less than ten degrees. Should this value be greater than ten degrees, then another installation location which is farther from magnetic fields will need to be found for the EV-1/EV-2 CCU.

Q2. We did the factory reset, dockside calibration and auto learn linearisation for the autopilot again but the same problem occurs. The pilot starts off holding an ok course then the wheel starts to turn port/starboard rapidly. The speed is set to SOG like you suggested.
A2. I was not suggesting that the Speed instrument be set to SOG, but rather that the autopilot's Speed Input setting be configured to SOG. Should the latter have been satisfied, then please indicate whether a rudder reference transducer has been installed. If so and when tide dockside or at a mooring with the autopilot in Standby mode, examine the rudder bar displayed on the autopilot's control head to verify that it moves in the correct direction when rudder is applied.

Q3. Another problem we had with the pilot was that we couldn’t get it to sail to the windvane, in windvane mode the display showed the correct wind angle but as soon as it took over it put the wheel hard over and we had to press standby to regain steerage.
We will be taking the pilot and the itc5 to a service center on Monday to get them bench tested and at least check to see if the fault is in the hardware.
A3. With respect to Wind Vane mode, selection of this mode is not dependent upon wind data. This mode is dependent upon the Vessel Hull Type setting having been configured to one of the sailing vessel options (SAIL, SAIL (SLOW TURN), or SAIL CATAMARAN). That said, should Wind Vane mode be selected and the system does not detect a source of wind, then the autopilot control head will alert the user that no wind source was detected, effectively preventing its use in this mode.