Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade questions
10-24-17, 07:32 AM
Upgrade questions
Recently I purchased another boat that currently was rigged with the following in 2013:
E62226US E14 Hybrid display 'wide"
RS125 GPS antenna
E92143 4KW Radome
Navionics CF673P chart (Maine only)

Also older rigging:
Ray240 VHF
Fishfinder module is DSM300 -
Transducer is (was) the P66 transom mount. Former owner hit something and it needs replacement.

It is a 27' boat, 9'8" beam, 21 degree dead rise. It has twin 2013 Suzuki 250's tied to E14 via Nema backbone

I see no reason (unless you tell me otherwise) to upgrade the display, radar or vhf. That being said the DSM 300 likely should be upgraded and a new transducer installed.

For background the boat is currently located in Northern Maine. I will be transporting it to Southwest Florida where it's primary use will be fishing the Gulf of Mexico in 50-200 ft of water (generally about 100'). Because I generally bottom fish, quality bottom definition is key.

Questions:

1. Can I easily transfer saved gps marks from a garmin 840xs to the RM or will that be a manual process?

2. From research it appears that the cp470 will not work with the e14 wide. So likely it will be a cp370? What transducer do you recommend, the tm260 or tm258?

3. What Sirius/xm weather module would you recommend for this set up?

4. What is your opinion on the current setup (honesty appreciated) whether it can be upgraded to fit my needs, what those upgrades may be. Or would it be better to install a separate bottom machine and use the current RM for gps/cartography, radar etc.

Thank you in advance for your help on this matter.

Thank you and have a great day!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-17, 09:40 AM
RE: Upgrade questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum DoubleCabin,

Q1. Can I easily transfer saved gps marks from a garmin 840xs to the RM or will that be a manual process?
A1. Raymarine has not produced a product having the name E14. I suspect that the product which you have referenced is an E140W E-Series Widescreen MFD. These MFDs supported waypoint/route transfer via a file formatted using Raymarine's proprietary Archive.fsh file format. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. From research it appears that the cp470 will not work with the e14 wide. So likely it will be a cp370? What transducer do you recommend, the tm260 or tm258?
A2. For the depths specified, the TM258 would be an excellent choice for this application.

Q3. What Sirius/xm weather module would you recommend for this set up?
A3. The SR150 is compatible with the E-Series Widescreen MFDs and is the only currently offered Sirius/xm weather module offered by Raymarine.

Q4. What is your opinion on the current setup (honesty appreciated) whether it can be upgraded to fit my needs, what those upgrades may be. Or would it be better to install a separate bottom machine and use the current RM for gps/cartography, radar etc.
A4. The system which you have identified should be quite satisfactory. I would recommend that it be used and that any decision to upgrade then be based upon features which have been introduced within Raymarine's latest generation of MFDs (i.e. the Axiom and Axiom Pro MFDs). If considering replacement of the MFD in the future, the Raymarine products (except for the DSM300 and chart card) which you have listed may be either interfaced to or adapted to be interfaced to Axiom and Axiom Pro MFDs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply