Recommendations?
Thx

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-17, 09:57 AM
RE: Combo ST1, STng, NMEA2K network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum 370Dancer,

There are a couple of issues which you will run into with the system as shown within your diagram. First, it is recommended that the a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter not be used backfeed power into a SeaTalk bus. Accordingly, it would be recommended that SeaTalk bus be powered from a 12V power insertion spur. This would necessitate taht the red lead of the SeaTalk cable connecting the SeaTalk bus to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter not be connected to the red terminal of the S1G's SeaTalk port.
Second, Raymarine products of this vintage did not support multiple sources of any one type of data (ex. GPS, heading, wind, depth, etc.). Accordingly, the second source of GPS data would need to be removed from the system.
11-02-17, 07:38 AM
Thank you. That may explain some issues I was having with the course computer previously.
Does this updated diagram eliminate your concerns?

Attached File(s)
.pptx  Beach House II Helm Electronics final.pptx (Size: 357.73 KB / Downloads: 405)
11-02-17, 09:47 AM
370Dancer,

It would not be recommended that the system be installed as you have shown within your last diagram. Instead, it would be recommended that the red lead of the SeaTalk cable which is connected to the S1G be disconnected from the red SeaTalk terminal of the S1G's SeaTalk port. The SeaTalk Cable which is connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should carry both power and data. Additionall, the ST-STng Converter is not supported for use with ST80 products. Accordingly, should any performance issues arise after having performed the changes specified within this response, then it would be recommended that the ST80 Masterview be removed from the system. Finally, the diagram still shows to GPS data sources ... one will need to be removed from the system.
11-02-17, 11:50 AM
Thank you Chuck.
In the previous diagram, I had removed the SeaTalk connection to the RL80CRC completely, isolating the radar, depth and the Ray125 GPS to a stand alone system. Thinking about that, I'd rather be able to display depth on the panel instruments, so I did remove the Ray125 GPS from the system completely, and am only using Sea Talk data (no power) between the RL80CRC and the S1G, and then as recommended from the S1G to the ST8001 control head. All panel instrument power now comes from the switched and fused (of course) drop on the Device Net backbone.
As recommended, if I encounter issues with passing data, I will remove the Masterview ST80 and re-route Sea Talk with power directly to the ST8001.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Beach House II Helm Electronics final.pdf (Size: 292.74 KB / Downloads: 400)
11-02-17, 12:59 PM
370Dancer,

Q1. In the previous diagram, I had removed the SeaTalk connection to the RL80CRC completely, isolating the radar, depth and the Ray125 GPS to a stand alone system.
A1. Sorry ... I missed that deleted interface.

Q2. Thinking about that, I'd rather be able to display depth on the panel instruments, so I did remove the Ray125 GPS from the system completely, and am only using Sea Talk data (no power) between the RL80CRC and the S1G, and then as recommended from the S1G to the ST8001 control head.
A2. Noted ... looks good.

Q3. only using Sea Talk data (no power) between the RL80CRC and the S1G, and then as recommended from the S1G to the ST8001 control head. All panel instrument power now comes from the switched and fused (of course) drop on the Device Net backbone.
A3. Correct.

Q4. As recommended, if I encounter issues with passing data, I will remove the Masterview ST80 and re-route Sea Talk with power directly to the ST8001.
A4. Noted.