Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom integrate with ST6002 and ST60+
10-26-17, 01:47 PM
Axiom integrate with ST6002 and ST60+
Thank you for the excellent help forum, this has been a huge asset to be able to search issues and get real world answers.

So here is how the boat is configured now:
C80 display with 18" raydome of same vintage on mast.
AIS 250 receiver (may not be working)
St6002 SmartPilot
St60+ sailing inst. (three, speed and depth with a center AWI)

Would like to upgrade to a Axiom 9" and a Quantum radar. Will all other units function with this MFD? will there be any issues?

On a related note there has been talk of updating the AWI sailing inst to I70 multifunction with new mast head unit (possibly leaving the ST60+ speed and depth units alone?) and adding a newer VHF radio to include AIS receiver as the current Ray 250 seems in-op. Thoughts?

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-17, 02:20 PM
RE: Axiom integrate with ST6002 and ST60+
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum DesertBoat,

Q1. o here is how the boat is configured now:
C80 display with 18" raydome of same vintage on mast.
AIS 250 receiver (may not be working)
St6002 SmartPilot
St60+ sailing inst. (three, speed and depth with a center AWI)

Would like to upgrade to a Axiom 9" and a Quantum radar. Will all other units function with this MFD? will there be any issues?

A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Unlike the Axiom Pro MFDs, the Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, necessitating that any devices which had previously been interfaced to your C-Series Classic MFD's NMEA 0183 interface (ex. AIS250, DSC VHF radio, etc.) instead be interfaced to the a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (for DSC VHF radios only), Actisense NGW-1-ISO (for 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 devices), Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS (for AIS receivers / transceiver), etc.). As indicated within the referenced FAQ, your currently installed autopilot and ST60+ instruments may be adapted (via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit) to be interfaced to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the new MFD will also be interfaced.

Q2. On a related note there has been talk of updating the AWI sailing inst to I70 multifunction with new mast head unit (possibly leaving the ST60+ speed and depth units alone?) and adding a newer VHF radio to include AIS receiver as the current Ray 250 seems in-op. Thoughts?
A2. The currently installed wind transducer may indeed be interfaced to an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter which will form part of the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The i70/i70S MFID may then be used to calibrate and display wind data.

The Ray70 VHF radio is offered with and without an AIS receiver option. Should the Ray70 w/AIS receiver option be selected, then the Ray70 may simply be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to support the system's VHF radio and AIS features.
10-26-17, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-17 02:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you so much for the help. I have looked through the FAQ a bunch and did get a little sidetracked as to just how sure I was on the 0183/2000 thing. I really appreciate the help. This is why I keep coming back to Raymarine for all of our boats! Cheers.
10-26-17, 02:40 PM
You're welcome.