Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navigational upgrades
10-27-17, 02:08 PM
Navigational upgrades
Hello forum,

I recently purchased a sailboat, which was equipped with a RL 70 radar display and an RC 520 chart plotter. As well as an autohelm ST 4000 autopilot with micro logic ML 95 remote.

Unfortunately both the radar display and the chart plotter are LCD and both are too dark to read. The radar display is located in the cockpit and the chart plotter in the cabin. It's my understanding that I can replace the RL 70 with an RL 70c display without having to reconfigure any of the wiring (plug-and-play).

My question is can the RC 520 be as easily replaced with an RC 530 color chart plotter or the SL 530 color chart plotter without having to reconfigure any of the wiring, and still have full usage of the autopilot, and other autohelm instruments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-17, 02:52 PM
RE: Navigational upgrades
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gary,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As the system features a pair of networked Pathfinder Series Displays, the key as indicated within the referenced FAQ is to ensure that both displays have hsb2 communications circuitry (preferred) or that both displays have hsb communications circuitry. As SL Pathfinder Series Displays do not feature a high speed communications interface, it would not be recommended that a SL530 be installed within this system.
10-27-17, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-17 08:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,

Thank you for the quick reply. I did see this information during my search, but was not sure what I was looking at. Both units are HSB 1. I see from this list the RC 520 and the RC 530 are both listed so is my assumption that they are interchangeable (Plug-and-play), am I correct in that assumption?

I do see the RL 70 listed but not the RL 70C I read in a former post that they are interchangeable am I correct?

Thank you,

Gary
10-30-17, 08:27 AM
Gary,

Each of the Pathfinder Series display which you have identified were produced in both hsb and hsb2 versions. As long as the displays used to replace the current displays both feature the same high speed communications circuitry (recommend that you verify this with the seller(s)), then they may be interfaced to one another within the same system. Irrespective of whether the Pathfinder Series Displays displays feature hsb or hsb2 high speed communications circuitry, they utilize the same cables making the physical swap as simple as unplugging the existing displays, mounting the new displays, and then plugging the same cables back into the new displays.
11-03-17, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-17 01:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck
Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge with me. It's most appreciated. and when I upgrade to a more up to date system I will defiantly be staying with Raymarine.
Gary
11-03-17, 01:51 PM
You're welcome.