Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart Controller
11-23-17, 01:19 AM
Smart Controller
I'm upgrading all my equipment to the latest generation electronics (Axiom Pro's, i70s, p70x, Quantum radar, etc.)

All devices are either SeaTalkng or NMEA 2000, with the exception of my Smart Controller base station, which will be connected via a Seatalkng-to-SeaTalk converter. Wind instrument will be connected to an iTC-5.

There will be NMEA 2000 devices connected as well, such as my Fusion radio, utilizing the correct DeviceNet cable, of course.

THE QUESTION/PROBLEM:

The SeaTalkng reference guide states that there is a limitation when a SeaTalk device is connected to the SeaTalkng network... it says:

======
Limitations when SeaTalk(1) products are connected:
If SeaTalkng and SeaTalk(1) products are used together, do NOT connect an NMEA2000 backbone, as this product combination could compromise the integrity of the NMEA2000 system."
======

Will I be able to connected NMEA 2000 devices to the network even though I have the Smart Controller connected via the Seatalkng-to-SeaTalk converter?

Planned NMEA 2000 devices: DST-800, Fusion Radio, Yanmar Engine (with ECI-100).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-17, 01:57 AM
RE: Smart Controller
Hello rsqunit,

Firstly, thanks for reading the docs, I wish more people did so.

That being said, the STNG Reference (and Seatalk1-STNG Convertor also) document is a little outdated, and contains warnings that have ceased to apply with later software upgrades.

The key risk in connecting ST1, STNG and NMEA2000 devices nowadays is in having multiple sources of power for the network, something that the NMEA2000 specification forbids. You will generally have a pre-existing power supply for the ST1 network, can have a second one via an autopilot (most Raymarine STNG-capable pilots can power STNG, enabled via a switch on the connector panel which is off by default), can may have a third from NMEA2000 devices. (In older systems, it was possible to get inconsistencies between the data, such as GPS datum, used on either side of the ST1-STNG convertor. Not an issue any longer.)

Multiple power supplies can lead to blown fuses or damaged devices (if the supplies are at different potentials) or very noisy and malfunctioning networks, if one or more supplies are switch-mode rather than straight from a battery.

Be aware that some Fusion stereos power the network: it's a feature they call NRX power I believe. Make sure it's disabled in the stereo's menu, or block the supply from the rest of the network using one of their non-powered drop (spur) cables.

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
11-28-17, 04:05 AM
Tom, thanks for the details. I will definitely check the Fusion device for NRX Power and disable it.

One follow-up question...

Do I need to provide separate power to the SeaTalk Smart Controller Base Station or will it get power from the SeaTalkng backbone?

I'm attaching my network design so you can see how everything is connected. I was under the impression that the Base Station would get power through the SeaTalkng backbone (via the ST-STng Converter).

The plan is to power the backbone via the ACU-400 as shown in the diagram.

Thanks again!
11-28-17, 07:27 PM
(11-28-17 04:05 AM)rsqunit Wrote:  Do I need to provide separate power to the SeaTalk Smart Controller Base Station or will it get power from the SeaTalkng backbone?
The plan is to power the backbone via the ACU-400 as shown in the diagram.

Yes, the Smartcontroller base station and any other ST1 device will be powered via the convertor. Powering from the ACU400 will be perfect as it's right in the middle of the network (LEN) load, minimising voltage drop to either end of the network, as it looks like you're already well aware.

(11-28-17 04:05 AM)rsqunit Wrote:  I'm attaching my network design so you can see how everything is connected.
Nice drawing. Everything looks good to me.

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
11-28-17, 07:30 PM
Thanks so much Tom! Yes, I tried to balance the load as much as possible and put the ACU-400 in the middle. :-)

Really appreciate the help!

Wil
11-29-17, 04:54 PM
No problem, Wil.

Raymarine since 1999.