Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] E120 data feed, move from Seatalk 1 to Seatalk ng
11-01-17, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-18 11:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] E120 data feed, move from Seatalk 1 to Seatalk ng
Hi, I've search the threads but can't find the answer. Simple question:

I'm installing a Seatalk ng backbone in a vessel with a pair of HS networked E120 classics. The primary E120 received all its data via the Seatalk 1 bus. Now with an ng bus, I believe I use an adapter to feed all the data from the ng bus to the Seatalk 2 input on the primary E120 and MUST disconnect the old Seatalk 1 bus, true? Is there any system configuration settings to change in the E120 to make it look at the Seatalk 2 input?

Oh, I should note, there is a Seatalk1 to ng bridge in the system now as well.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-17, 04:25 PM
RE: E120 data feed, move from Seatalk 1 to Seatalk ng
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Lothar,

Q1. Now with an ng bus, I believe I use an adapter to feed all the data from the ng bus to the Seatalk 2 input on the primary E120 and MUST disconnect the old Seatalk 1 bus, true?
A1. Correct

Q2. Is there any system configuration settings to change in the E120 to make it look at the Seatalk 2 input?
A2. Negative. The MFD will automatically pick up data via its SeaTalk2 port ... ensure that the MFD has v5.69 software installed within its memory.
11-01-17, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 09:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
One followup question:

3) before the transition from Seatalk 1, all data including GPS position, SOG, COG were fine. Now after the transition, GPS position is not appearing on the plotter yet SOG and COG are being received. They all come from the same sensor, RS125, so it seems odd. Could it be that the bridge is not passing the data? Seems odd, manual for the bridge says it will pass GPS position. I haven't checked the s/w version of the bridge, but it is brand new. And plotter is v5.69
11-02-17, 09:19 AM
Lothar,

Don't assume that the ST-STng Converter's software level is the latest. Instead, download it from Raymarine's website and update its software via the E120 MFD. The ST-STng Converter will bridge critical GPS data from SeaTalk to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000, and this critical data should most certainly include the vessel's lat/lon coordinates, COG, SOG, and HDOP. However, non-critical data will not be bridged. As has been indicated within related FAQs within this Forum, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software does not support bridging of the following non-critical GPS sensor data to SeaTalk:
- Satellite Status
- Sky View
- FIX rather than SD FIX will be reported within the FIX Status field when a WAAS GPS FIX has been acquired

All other GPS data items (lat, lon, UTC Date, UTC Time, HDOP, and Mode) will be correctly reported. When determining the accuracy of the GPS position FIX, HDOP will be used. When a Raystar 130/150 GPS Sensor is installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, the Raystar 130/150 GPS Sensor will typically provide the system with a HDOP less than or equal to 1.0 (lower HDOP equates to higher accuracy).
11-02-17, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 12:47 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Excellent advice, thanks.

Update: I checked the bridge s/w version, it reports as having v2.3. Software update on the raymarine website lists v2.03 as most current. With that package on a the data card, I went all the way to the point of 'ready to update' and got a msg on the E120 saying the current version installed is the same or newer, so I cancelled the update.

Any other advice?
11-02-17, 12:47 PM
Lothar,

The latest version of ST-STng Converter software which I am aware of is v2.03 ... odd. I'll have to do some checking. I would recommend proceeding with the requested system diagram should the MFD be reporting dashes for the vessel's lat/lon coordinates.
11-02-17, 02:48 PM
Chuck, attached is the relevant pieces of the current installation. Some comments:

- ship was equipped with current RS125 outputting NMEA 0183 direct to the Ray215 radio (to keep it happy with GPS position), then the signal was routed to the S3G pilot which I believe has been bridging the GPS data (lat/long, COG, SOG) to Seatalk 1 and that's how the Master E120 has been getting all its data including GPS.

Note too that the S3G is sourcing power for the Seatalk 1 bus and now via the bridge, it is acting as the primary power for the NG bus. I intend to run a dedicated power feed to the approximate center of the bus but have not done so yet. Possibly an issue?

So step 1, I laid in the simple NG backbone with the Seatalk 1 to NG converter / bridge and an ITC-5 with windvane. I ran this without the AIS connected nor the i70s and GPS lat / long has not been displayed on the E120 but SOG and COG have. I did note that sometimes the SOG and COG would blank momentarily on the plotter but generally solid.

Step 2, I disconnected the NMEA 0183 feed to the S3G and confirmed that all GPS data including COG and SOG goes to 'dashes', what I would have expected. Then connected the external AIS which is configured to output all GPS data via its NMEA2000 port. Result was COG and SOG now displayed solid on the E120 but lat / long still not present. Seems like it could be a configuration issue or parity or something silly like that.
11-02-17, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 03:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Lothar,

The E-Series Classic MFDs are exclusively designed to support AIS features when interfaced via NMEA 0183 to the AIS receiver / transceiver. The MFD will not process any AIS data from a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 source of AIS data.

Autopilot course computers are not designed to function as complete NMEA 0183 to SeaTalk data bridging devices. Should you desire to add GPS data to the SeaTalk bus, then the RS125 should be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus rather than to the NMEA 0183 port of the autopilot course computer, as your diagram currently shows. To do so, the red and green leads of the RS125's cable would be interfaced to the red lead of a SeaTalk Cable, the brown and black/shield leads of the RS125's cable would be interfaced to the shield lead of the SeaTalk Cable, and finally, the yellow lead of the RS125's would be interfaced to the yellow lead of a SeaTalk Cable.

Your SeaTalkng backbone within your diagram does not include a 12V power insertion spur socket. The diagram does not appear to show an autopilot control head within the system. Additionally, it is unclear from the diagram whether the red power lead of the SeaTalk cable connected to the S3G's SeaTalk terminal has been disconnected. Should this red lead remain connected, then it may cause communications problems.
11-04-17, 08:40 PM
Hi Chuck,

Success!

As you recommended, the key was to dig into how the RS125 sensor was wired and get it on a more direct path, ie, output to Seatalk 1 rather than NMEA 0183. In the process, I found several peculiar wiring paths that must have been the root issue.

So RS125 is now wired for Seatalk 1 output, NG bus has a direct 12 V source and is also powering the Seatalk 1 bus. Seatalk 1 to NG converter provides the path for GPS data to the NG bus and feeds the master E120 directly.

A key finding was that the S3G smartpilot has two pairs of Seatalk 1 inputs. The existing wiring used both ports, in essence depending on the smartpilot to link those inputs together. No problem with the pilot powered. But with its power off, the existing Seatalk 1 bus was interrupted, ie, those inputs were a series link in the Seatalk 1 bus. I fixed that so that the pilot is simply a tap to the entire Seatalk 1 bus using just one port on the pilot, now all good.

Kudos Chuck for all the support!
02-02-18, 01:33 PM
Hi Chuck,

One follow-up observation. After having completed the install per this thread, I've noted that the E120's do not recognize the S3G autopilot as being available to feed course data and reflect the status of the autopilot. Any idea why?

The plotters are enabled for pilot control via the system integration menu, so that seems ok.

Perhaps a clue: while rewiring the Seatalk 1 devices, I found that both Seatalk 1 ports on the S3G were connected to the bus, I elected to just have one connected to the Seatalk bus. Could that be a factor? All functions from the ST8000 and wireless pilot remote, all on the Seatalk 1 bus, work correctly. So it seems the Seatalk 1 to NG bridge is not passing status and data back and forth between the plotters and the pilot.

Thanks in advance for the help.