Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom software update
11-01-17, 02:58 PM
Axiom software update
I have installed two Axiom 12" MFDs on the boat. It is difficult for me to get to the cards on the back of the units. I did an update last week and tried to plug the card reader into the USB port, hoping that I could load the software that way. However, it did not work.

If I can get this to work, I can mount a external USB, duel port connector, use one port for each display, on the dash and I will not have to remove the dash to update the software. Am I doing something wrong or is this a feature to be added later (or never)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-17, 02:54 PM
RE: Axiom software update
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wdbox,

We have seen some intermittent problems with LightHouse 3.2.x and earlier LH3 software to perform updates via Raymarine's USB remote card readers. That said, I am presently testing LightHouse v3.3 software and this feature appears to function correctly once updated with LightHouse v3.3.x software. As such, use of a USB remote memory card reader would indeed be a solution for systems such as yours where the back side of an Axiom MFD is not easily accessible.

Please note that ONLY the MFD which is directly connected to the USB remote card reader will have access to the USB remote card reader. That said, like the cartography from chart cards within the MFD's memory card reader, cartography from chart cards within a USB remote reader(s) will be shared among the system's networked MFDs. Additionally, when performing software updates to the Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs within the system, the microSD memory card containing the software update .iso file need only be inserted into the memory card reader (internal or remote) of Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD which will be initiating the software update. The software update utility will automatically detect the other networked Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs and will provide options to update them them remotely.
11-02-17, 03:42 PM
[quote='Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator' pid='14759' dateline='1509652486']
Thank you for your prompt reply. The way I understand things is that once we have the version 3.3 software I will be able to attach my card reader to the USB port and download the updates without having to remove the Navionics card. This will be required for each display. Once the update is complete, I will be able to remove the card reader connection.

This brings up another point. As far as I know the Navionics card must be removed and connected to a PC for updates. I do not think that I can use the card and than copy the information to a new card in the slot of the Axiom. If so, there is really no purpose in adding a remote connection to just update software. Am I correct?
11-03-17, 08:48 AM
wdbox,

Q1. The way I understand things is that once we have the version 3.3 software I will be able to attach my card reader to the USB port and download the updates without having to remove the Navionics card. This will be required for each display. Once the update is complete, I will be able to remove the card reader connection.
A1. This is not quite correct. The USB memory card reader need not be moved between displays if the MFDs have been interfaced via an Ethernet (RayNet / SeaTalkhs) network. The other MFDs within the network will be remotely updated via the MFD which has the USB memory card interfaced to it. It is typically recommended that the memory card reader be interfaced to the Data Master MFD to additionally support updating the software within SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 peripherals. Additionally, the USB memory card reader may remain permanently interfaced to a MFD.

Q2. As far as I know the Navionics card must be removed and connected to a PC for updates. I do not think that I can use the card and than copy the information to a new card in the slot of the Axiom. If so, there is really no purpose in adding a remote connection to just update software. Am I correct?
A2. At this time, the Navionics chart card must be removed from the MFD's memory card reader to permit it to be updated with Navionics Freshest data updates. Per my earlier response, should the MFD's be networked to one another via an Ethernet (RayNet / SeaTalkhs) network, then they will share all data, including cartography. Accordingly, only one Navionics chart card need be present within the system. While it may technically possible to copy files from a Navionics chart card to another microSD memory card, the Navionics data encryption schema (embedded within the software of products using Navionics cartography) will prohibit use of the cartography which has been copied to the other microSD memory card.
11-05-17, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your help. It appears that this is not going to be a simple solution.

Assuming that I can find a way to weather proof the connector, what do you think about using a micro SD card extender cable to move the micro SD card to a position where it would possible to access it without removing the dash panel?
11-06-17, 09:28 AM
wdbox,

I would recommend that the USB cable extension be tested with the system prior to installation.
11-08-17, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-17 11:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
My concern is with the Navionics card. I would like to come up with a way to access it without removing the dash panel. Hence, the micro SD extender cable. I plan to do software updates thru the USB port and a extender cable.
11-08-17, 12:03 PM
wdbox,

The USB memory card reader has been specifically offered for installations where the back side of the MFD may not be readily accessed. Both the A80218 RCR-2 Remote Card Reader (features two microSD memory card slots & 2m cable) and the A80440 RCR - Remote SD Card Reader and USB Socket (1m cable) may be used with Axiom MFDs and chart cards may also be used with either of these memory card readers. As the A80440 RCR features a SD slot rather than a microSD card so, a microSD to SD adapter sleeve (ex. the adapter sleeve supplied with the chart card) must be used with the A80440 RCR.
11-13-17, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-17 09:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. Where can I get the specs and dimensions for the card readers?
11-13-17, 10:19 AM
wdbox,

The features of the two readers may be found within my prior response to this thread. Product documentation for Raymarine Products, including installation instructions and mounting templates for accessories, may be found here. The mounting template for the RCR-2 gS Remote Card Reader may be found here. The installation instructions (none provided with the RCR-2 gS Remote Card Reader) for the RCR-SDUSB Remote Card Reader may be found here. A scanned copy of the RCR-SDUSB Remote Card Reader's installation template may be found here.