Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning Strike-Getting a major upgrade
11-05-17, 10:42 AM
Lightning Strike-Getting a major upgrade
Chuck, my 2005 390DA has suffered a lightning strike through shore power and many components were affected. The electronics tech has noted both C-120s and the S3G were damaged. The RM 240E VHF still works. He's recommending the Axiom 12 MFDs, and ECU-200. Because of compatibility issues with the Axioms, the original 4KW open array radar will also need to be replaced.

Can the 7001+ head still be used or will I need a P70R?

Can the Gyroplus 2 SHS Smart Heading System still be used or will I need the EV Sensor Core?

Is the DST 800 transducer compatible?

Is the new Axiom system compatible with my VesselView 1.5?

What else should I consider upgrading or other questions should I ask?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-17, 10:58 AM
RE: Lightning Strike-Getting a major upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum George,

General comment: When replacing legacy autopilots such as yours with an Evolution autopilot, it will minimally be necessary to install an EV-1 CCU and ACU-[censored] (model of ACU is based upon the model of drive unit which will be interfaced to the ACU).

Q1. Can the 7001+ head still be used or will I need a P70R?
A1. Yes and no. The ST6xxx/ST7xxx/ST8xxx autopilot control heads cannot be used to set up and configure an Evolution autopilot. However, these features may be performed via an Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD's user interface. The Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD may also control the autopilot's mode (Standby, Auto, Track) as well as support dodge commands. Should the system which I have described additionally be interfaced to an ST6xxx/ST7xxx/ST8xxx autopilot control head or wireless autopilot remote, then these devices will also be able to control the autopilot's mode.

Q2. Can the Gyroplus 2 SHS Smart Heading System still be used or will I need the EV Sensor Core?
A2. Negative ... see the general comment above. The function of the SHS will be replaced by the vastly superior EV-1 CCU.

Q2. Is the DST 800 transducer compatible?
A2. Analog models of DST800 transducers must be interfaced to an i50 Tridata or to an iTC-5 w/i70 MFID which in turn will be interfaced to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the Data Master Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD will be interfaced. Smart DST800s may be interfaced as a spur to the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 200 backbone.

Q3. Is the new Axiom system compatible with my VesselView 1.5?
A3. Quite possibly. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
11-06-17, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-17 12:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
WOW! Thanks for the great info. I'm nervously awaiting the final recommendations from the tech and the approval level from the insurance company; hopefully no pushback. Cheers!
11-06-17, 12:28 PM
You're welcome.
11-28-17, 04:53 PM
UPDATE
Chuck, I got the new equipment installed and could not get auto routing to work. I contacted Navionics and they said I would need to upgrade to the newest 3.2.101 software, which I did and I still have no auto routing that shows as an option. What am I missing?
12-01-17, 10:23 AM
George,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

As this thread has now strayed from its original subject, please create a new thread to address the autorouting issue should the problem persist.