Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Axiom 12 and Axiom 9 Networking
11-08-17, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-20 09:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Axiom 12 and Axiom 9 Networking
I have an Axiom 12 (no sonar) and will be adding an Axiom 9 (basic no sonar) to my network. If I understand the user manuals and other forum information correctly the Axiom 9 on my flybridge should be a repeater display connected to the HS network via my 8 channel HS Switch and should not be connected to the Raynet / 2000 serial network. Both Axioms are running 3.2.97.

Is this correct and if so will ALL data present on the Axiom 12 at the pilot house console be replicated on the Axiom 9 via HS? Should I disable the local GPS capability of the Axiom 9 or can it be used locally?

I have a full new suite of EVO Autopilot, 2 P70R displays / autopilot control, Ray Sirius XM receiver (HS interface), Quantum Radar (HS), CP 370 depth sounder (HS) and WindSpeed / Direction I-60 based, ACU and rudder indicator all updated. I have a 2nd party AIS transponder that is connected via NMEA 2000 adapter cable to Raynet and works very well.

Please let me know if I can expect this dual Axiom 12 / 9 system to function normally with HS and Raynet working side by side. I attempted to use a Raynet to SeaTalk network adapter to connect one last Seatalk display (depth) to the Raynet network but my Axiom 12 gave me serious errors for data master and would not function with the adapter connected to the Raynet bus.

Help with properly networking my new Axiom 9 with my existing Axiom 12, any data display limitations, reason for the failure of my Seatalk to Raynet adapter (5 connectors) would be appreciated. I have also previously reported CP 370 depth display problems with my Axiom 12 - no depth displayed if fish finder app is not running.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-17, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-17 11:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom 12 and Axiom 9 Networking
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum vacantid,

Q1. I have an Axiom 12 (no sonar) and will be adding an Axiom 9 (basic no sonar) to my network. If I understand the user manuals and other forum information correctly the Axiom 9 on my flybridge should be a repeater display connected to the HS network via my 8 channel HS Switch and should not be connected to the Raynet / 2000 serial network. Both Axioms are running 3.2.97.
A1. In order for both Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs to share all system data, each MFD would need to be networked to one another via an Ethernet network. Such networking may be accomplished via any of the following means:
- connecting each Axiom / Axiom Pro MFD to an Ethernet network switch (ex. HS5 RayNet Network Switch, SR6 Sirius Satellite Weather / Network Switch (retired), or SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired)).
- The Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs would be [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology#Daisy_chain
]daisy chained[/url] to one another via appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

In systems featuring more than one compatible MFD which have been interfaced to one another via an Ethernet network, only the Data Master MFD would need to be interfaced as a spur to the system's powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the systems other peripherals having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface have been connected.

Q2. Is this correct and if so will ALL data present on the Axiom 12 at the pilot house console be replicated on the Axiom 9 via HS?
A2. More correctly all data available to the Data Master MFD will be available to the non-Data Master MFDs. Each MFD may then be independently configured to display whichever supported features are desired.

Q3. Should I disable the local GPS capability of the Axiom 9 or can it be used locally?
A3. Within a networked system, only one source of each type of data (GPS, wind, speed, etc. ) will be supported at any time by the system. To this end, the Data Master MFD will support a Data Sources feature through which the operator will select which source of each type of data will be used by the system. Data Source selection is only necessary in conjunction with types of data for which more than one instance is present within the system.

Q4. Please let me know if I can expect this dual Axiom 12 / 9 system to function normally with HS and Raynet working side by side.
A4. Please note that Ethernet, SeaTalkhs, and RayNet are all the same networking protocol. The proprietary names SeaTalkhs and RayNet are simply Raymarine proprietary branding alternatives to Ethernet and reflect cabling connectors and sockets which are designed to protect the product's interfaces from exposure to the marine environment. You may also be confusing RayNet (Ethernet) with SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking. As indicated above, only the system's Data Master MFD need be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which is presently networking the Axiom 9 MFD, Evolution autopilot components, i60 instruments, and AIS receiver/transceiver to one another.

Q5. I have a full new suite of EVO Autopilot, 2 P70R displays / autopilot control, Ray Sirius XM receiver (HS interface), Quantum Radar (HS), CP 370 depth sounder (HS) and WindSpeed / Direction I-60 based, ACU and rudder indicator all updated. I have a 2nd party AIS transponder that is connected via NMEA 2000 adapter cable to Raynet and works very well.
A5. The MFDs, Quantum radome, and CP370 will each be interface to the system's Ethernet Network Switch. The Data Master MFD, Evolution autopilot components, i60 Instruments, and third party AIS transponder will each be interfaced as an individual spur to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.

Q6. I attempted to use a Raynet to SeaTalk network adapter to connect one last Seatalk display (depth) to the Raynet network but my Axiom 12 gave me serious errors for data master and would not function with the adapter connected to the Raynet bus.
A6. Again you may be confusing Ethernet (RayNet) with SeaTalkng communications. It is not possible to adapt SeaTalk, SeaTalkng, NMEA 2000, or NMEA 0183 to Ethernet. Bridging of data from SeaTalk, SeaTalkng, NMEA 2000, or NMEA 0183 to Ethernet may only be accomplished via MFD.

Q7. Help with properly networking my new Axiom 9 with my existing Axiom 12, any data display limitations, reason for the failure of my Seatalk to Raynet adapter (5 connectors) would be appreciated. I have also previously reported CP 370 depth display problems with my Axiom 12 - no depth displayed if fish finder app is not running.
A7. Please refer to the information provided above addressing how the equipment should be interfaced. Please additionally note that should the system currently feature a SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired), that Raymarine offers adapter cable to permit a SeaTalkhs Cable to be mated devices featuring a RayNet (M) socket (ex. Axiom MFDs and CP370). Raymarine additionally offers adapter cables to permit a Quantum Data Cables (feature a RayNet (F) plug) to be adapted to mate to a SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired). Please note that there were some early software issues within LightHouse 3 software which may be responsible for communications with a CP370 sounder module. Accordingly, please ensure that your Axiom MFD(s) and CP370 have each been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.
11-10-17, 11:33 AM
Chuck-
Thanks for the detailed reply - your careful methods are always appreciated.

You are correct that I confused Raynet with Seatalkng (Q6). I meant to say that I used a Raymarine ST to STNG adapter as a spur on my STNG network. My Axiom 12 would not accept the ST adapter as a spur on the STNG network.

You pointed out that I have a retired 8 channel Ethernet switch - and yes I have found all of the adapter cables you mentioned - that is working well. But if I wanted to update to the new raynet version of the Ethernet switch it is only 5 channels. With my several HS devices including 3 cameras (CAM220) I have filled all 8 channels of the old Ethernet switch. Can I use two of the new 5 channel Ethernet switches to accommodate 8 or more channels of Ethernet data? I assume I would need to daisy chain the two switches to make this viable.
11-13-17, 09:22 AM
vacantid,

Q1. You are correct that I confused Raynet with Seatalkng (Q6). I meant to say that I used a Raymarine ST to STNG adapter as a spur on my STNG network. My Axiom 12 would not accept the ST adapter as a spur on the STNG network.

A1. The i70, i50, i60, p70, p70S, p70R, and p70RS have each been designed with communications circuitry which supports SeaTalk communications or SeaTalkng communications. However these products cannot support both communications protocols simultaneously, as would a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging device. Accordingly, the above listed devices must not be simultaneously interfaced as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone and to a SeaTalk bus or a device having a SeaTalk communications interface.

The SeaTalkng spur socket to SeaTalk Adapter Cable is designed to permit the above specified devices to replace a device within a legacy SeaTalk bus or to add the device to the SeaTalk bus. Accordingly, the SeaTalkng spur to SeaTalk Adapter cable is a simple cable, is not designed to support SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging. Such data bridging requires a microprocessor, such as is found within the the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is designed to be installed as a backbone component, not as a spur.

Q2. Can I use two of the new 5 channel Ethernet switches to accommodate 8 or more channels of Ethernet data? I assume I would need to daisy chain the two switches to make this viable.
A2. Yes. As you have suggested, the Gigabit/s ports of each HS5 RayNet Network Switch would be joined using an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.
02-13-20, 10:03 PM
I have a similar situation and perhaps I should restate the previous persons question.

I have 2 new Axion 9. One is Axiom 9 Pro. I have a new HS5 5 port Switch. I also have an older, retired, 8 port RJ45 HS switch with Radar, Serius, and AIS connected. Can I connect the older HS switch to the new HS5 switch using ports on both with appropriate adapter cables.
02-14-20, 09:39 AM
RE: [CA11] Axiom 12 and Axiom 9 Networking
ray42628,

Q. Can I connect the older HS switch to the new HS5 switch using ports on both with appropriate adapter cables?
A. It is indeed possible to interface a SeaTalkhs Network Switch to an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD or to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch.