Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System Upgrade
11-14-17, 11:57 AM
RE: System Upgrade
DFMott,

NOTE: Should cable chasing be difficult or present challenges, then it is recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted ... at least to assist with the chasing of cables through the hardtop. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing providing more information on this subject.

Q1. Can I use the power in the hardtop to feed both the Ray70 and RD418HD? I don’t see why not but figure I would ask anyway rather than regret that I didn’t.
A1. The minimum gauge wire / cable for powering 4k radome and open array pedestals for cable runs up to 6m is 11 gauge. Given your most recent update stating that the gauge of the cables to be used is 10 gauge, this would seem sufficient to supply power to the radome and to the VHF radio. Whereas Raymarine has recommended that the radome alone be protected with a 20A fuse / breaker and that you are additionally intending to power the Ray70 from the same circuit, you may need to install a breaker having a higher rating should you find that the circuit's breaker is tripping when transmitting on the VHF radio when the radar is transmitting. If changing out the breaker to one having a higher amperage rating, then it would be recommended that the radome's circuit be protected with a 20A fuse.

Q2. The Radar cable has a RayNet cable and power lines. My plan is to cut the sheathing and split out the RayNet wire. Run the power line to the power feed in the hardtop and the RayNet cable down to the MFD. Is it OK to do this?
A2. It would be technically possible to do as you have suggested. Please additionally note that both the Ethernet cable and power leads within the Digital Radar Cable each feature shielding.

Q2. Option 1 vs Option 2. It is strongly recommended that option 2 be undertaken to reduce the number of cable's routed. The plug size of a spur plug and a backbone plug are identical, as are the diameters of spur and backbone cables. Accordingly, it would be recommended that a backbone cable be chased into the hardtop along with the Digital Radar Cable, where the backbone cable will be connected to a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector which in turn will be terminated at one end. The RS150's cable (may be replaced with a shorter length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable if desired) and the SeaTalkng Spur Cable which is connected to the Ray70 will then be connected to the aforementioned terminated SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.

Q3. So my question is can I cut the Raynet cable and splice it.
A3. Yes. Please the previously referenced FAQ and the FAQ found here addressing this subject.

Q4. I would hope the color coding of the wires adheres to an ANSI standard.
A4. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
System Upgrade - DFMott - 11-11-17, 03:21 PM
RE: System Upgrade - DFMott - 11-13-17, 04:38 PM
RE: System Upgrade - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 11-14-17 11:57 AM
RE: System Upgrade - DFMott - 12-11-17, 02:37 PM