Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ITC-5 LED lights and failure to see wind and speed transducers
11-18-17, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-17 10:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ITC-5 LED lights and failure to see wind and speed transducers
I just installed an ITC-5 and it is seeing the depth transducer fine (solid LED, good readings on depth-boat is in the water). However, it is not seeing the wind and speed transducers. So I went about debugging things. I have two Axiom 9s, RMK-9, I70s instrument, ACU-400 autopilot w/ EV1 and p70, HS5, Quantum radar, and 650/100 AIS, Yellow ST1 to STng 5-port strip for legacy instruments. The legacy instruments are (1) ST60 analog wind, (1) ST60+ speed, and (1) ST60 depth. All legacy instruments were working properly prior to the new ITC-5 but were not feeding any data into the STng system through the yellow conversion block, which is why I just purchased a bunch of new ST50 and ST60 instruments to bring everything into the STng system. We've put a thousand or so miles on the boat since August 2017 and everything on the STng network was/is working fine.
1) To start the debug, I downloaded and installed all peripheral software and confirmed my Axiom 9s have the latest updates.
2) Ran all the various check systems in the i70s to make sure it was seeing transducers (it only saw the depth, saw ITC-5 for wind, but no data, didn't see anything for speed).
3) Are Airmar speed transducers sensitive to cable length? Ours is fed into a system run and I had to extend the far end by 5 meters or so with a soldered connection and shrink tube on the individual wires at the splice (plus shrink tube over the total splice).
4) The LEDs on the ITC-5 are not helping to debug things and I believe Raymarine should address this. The backbone light stays lit solid, which is good. Depth stays lit solid which is good. All other LEDs flash intermittently. This happens regardless of whether anything is plugged in to a particular family/strip of contacts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-17, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-17 11:22 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ITC-5 LED lights and failure to see wind and speed transducers
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum KBK,

When no signal is received from the interfaced transducer, the iTC-5's LED will flash to indicate that it is cyclically polling the corresponding transducer's port, but has not detected a transducer. Should a transducer be sensed, then the corresponding LED
of the iTC-5 will be solidly illuminated. Transducer detection is based upon expected signals being received from the transducers. In the case of wind transducers, voltage pulses associated with rotation of the masthead transducer's cups would need to be sensed. Similarly, in the case of speed transducers, voltage pulses associated with rotation of the speed transducer's paddlewheel would need to be sensed. In the case of the depth transducers, the iTC-5's Status LED will be solidly illuminated only after the iTC-5 has been able to determine depth below the transducer. Accordingly, the iTC-5's operational status with a depth transducer may not be performed with the vessel out of the water, when the depth of the water beneath the transducer is less than 3', or when the depth of the water exceeds the operational depth limit of the instrument.

With respect to software, it should be verified that the iTC-5's software level be verified to be v1.12 or higher. If not, then the iTC-5's software should be updated and then tested again. Should the iTC-5's Wind LED be flashing when observing rotation of the masthead transducer's cups, then it would be recommended that the wind transducer be tested. Similarly, should the iTC-5's Speed LED be flashing when the vessel is moving through the water or the vessel is aligned with or in the opposite direction of a current, then it would be recommended that the speed transducer be tested. Should these tests identify a problem with the transducer(s), then it would be recommended that the transducer be serviced by Raymarine's Producdt Repair Center or repalced. Should these tests not identify any faults with the wind or speed transducers, then it would be recommended that the ground (bare wire lead) of the transducer be moved to the ground terminal of another of the iTC-5's sensor terminals. Should this fail to correct the reported issue, then it would be recommended that the iTC-5 be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply