Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] System upgrade to new Axiom 9's, auto pilot, radar.
11-22-17, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-18 09:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Question [CA] System upgrade to new Axiom 9's, auto pilot, radar.
I currently have the following equipment:

- E80 Classic
- Open array 4 kw radar (analog)
- Raytheon RayData
- S1G Smart Pilot
- ST 8001 Controller
- Ray 54 VHF
- Transducer for depth (and possibly speed as it doesn't seem to be anywhere near accurate).

Would like to replace with:

- Two (2) Axiom 9 MFD's. My understanding is that if I network the two displays using a HS5 Raynet switch, I can use one Axiom 9 RV with RealVision and Navionics+ North America Charts and one standard Axiom 9 as a repeater and I will have all the functionality of the 9 RV on both displays, is this correct? Also, do they both have to have the Navionics charts or will the 2nd display get the Navionics info from the first?

- EV 200 Power Auto Pilot, EV-1 Sensor Core, P70R Control Head and Evolution Cabling kit, less drive and rudder reference. - From what I can tell from the Raymarine website and Forum, my current drive unit and rudder reference should work, but I would need you to confirm. It appears the Auto pilot uses a SeatalkNG connection. If this is true, is there a cable with the proper ends to connect it to the HS5 Raynet switch?

- Enhanced 4 kW HD Color Radar Pedestal w/ 48" HD scanner. If I would direct connect to the Axiom 9 RV, will I have the ability to have the radar return visible on either or both displays? Radar overlay as well?

- RV-220 (Bronze) Thru-Hull CHIRP Transducer Pack. Direct connect to one of the displays, visible on both?

- Ray 260 VHF

Will this set up provide me with the ability for all equipment to communicate with each other (including radar overlay and the ability for the autopilot to follow a course laid out on the gps from either display.)?

Would I run power to each display individually using the supplied cables and run separate power to the network via the EV 200?

Thank you,
Brian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-17, 03:37 PM
RE: System upgrade to new Axiom 9's, auto pilot, radar.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Brian,

Q1a - Two (2) Axiom 9 MFD's. My understanding is that if I network the two displays using a HS5 Raynet switch, I can use one Axiom 9 RV with RealVision and Navionics+ North America Charts and one standard Axiom 9 as a repeater and I will have all the functionality of the 9 RV on both displays, is this correct?
A1a. Yes

Q1a. Also, do they both have to have the Navionics charts or will the 2nd display get the Navionics info from the first?
A1a. With a system of Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs, only one of the MFDs need have a Navionics chart card within it's memory card reader.

Q2a. - EV 200 Power Auto Pilot, EV-1 Sensor Core, P70R Control Head and Evolution Cabling kit, less drive and rudder reference. - From what I can tell from the Raymarine website and Forum, my current drive unit and rudder reference should work, but I would need you to confirm.
A2a. If supplied with the model of drive unit which is presently installed, then we may be able to specify the other Evolution autopilot components.

A2b. It appears the Auto pilot uses a SeatalkNG connection. If this is true, is there a cable with the proper ends to connect it to the HS5 Raynet switch?
A2b. Negative. Raymarine's Evolution autopilot components feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface. The Data Master MFD and each Evolution autopilot component having a SeaTalkng communications interface will each be interfaced to a spur socket within the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which will be installed onboard the vessel.

Q3 - Enhanced 4 kW HD Color Radar Pedestal w/ 48" HD scanner. If I would direct connect to the Axiom 9 RV, will I have the ability to have the radar return visible on either or both displays? Radar overlay as well?
A3 - As long as both displays will be switched ON, then radar and all other features and data will be shared between the MFDs.

Q4 - RV-220 (Bronze) Thru-Hull CHIRP Transducer Pack. Direct connect to one of the displays, visible on both?
A4 - Yes

Q5 - Will this set up provide me with the ability for all equipment to communicate with each other (including radar overlay and the ability for the autopilot to follow a course laid out on the gps from either display.)?
A5 - Yes

Q6 - Would I run power to each display individually using the supplied cables and run separate power to the network via the EV 200?
A6 - Yes
12-05-17, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-17 05:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck, much appreciated! I was still a little confused on how components using the Seatalk NG, Seatalk HS, Raydata communicated with one another, but I found the post from Lazlukacs from September of this year that included a diagram that seems to have cleared things up. Thanks to both of you.

My current Raymarine autopilot set-up includes a type one hydraulic drive unit, 12V with 3 ports labeled B, R, A. The vessel has a SeaStar BA150-7ATM (HC5314). If I purchase the EV-200 bundle that contains the EV-200 Power Auto Pilot, EV-1 Sensor Core, P70R Control Head and Evolution Cabling kit, less drive and rudder reference, will it be compatible with my existing drive and rudder reference transducer? More importantly, is the EV-200 the correct choice?

Do you know if Raymarine has a part number for the above mention autopilot bundle using the P70Rs Control Head in place of the P70R? The bundle with the P70R is T70156.

Does the Axiom series support the BR150 for Sirius weather?

Thanks,
Brian
12-06-17, 12:01 PM
Brian,

Q1. My current Raymarine autopilot set-up includes a type one hydraulic drive unit, 12V with 3 ports labeled B, R, A. The vessel has a SeaStar BA150-7ATM (HC5314). If I purchase the EV-200 bundle that contains the EV-200 Power Auto Pilot, EV-1 Sensor Core, P70R Control Head and Evolution Cabling kit, less drive and rudder reference, will it be compatible with my existing drive and rudder reference transducer? More importantly, is the EV-200 the correct choice?
A1. Both the EV-150 and EV-200 are designed for use with the Type 1 Hydraulic Pump, which would have been recommended for use with a hydraulic steering ram having the cubic capacity of your vessel's HC5314 ram. Should a Type 1 Hydraulic Pump have been installed onboard and should the vessel feature a 12V power distribution system for the marine electronics, then it would be recommended that an EV-150 Power (components must be individually purchased) rather than an EV-200 Power be purchased, thereby providing a cost savings. The components which would make up the equivalent of an EV-150 Power follow:
- E70096 EV-1 CCU
- E70430 ACU-150
- E70329 p70RS
- R70160 Evolution Cable Pack

The rudder reference transducer designed for use with the SmartPilots is also compatible with the Evolution Autopilots

Q2. Does the Axiom series support the BR150 for Sirius weather?
A2. Support for SiriusXM Satellite Weather is expected to be introduced within LightHouse 3 v3.3.x (currently expected to be released in late Q4) for the Axiom and Axiom Pro MFDs.
12-12-17, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-17 03:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck! Just a few more items please. I checked my current transducers that are wired straight to my RayData display, There are several numbers on the tags on both.

Depth:
48185-0
31-188-4
REV 04

Speed:
49354-0
31-250-4
REV 03
ST600

- Are these transducers compatible with an ITC-5? If so, would I be able to use these with an i70s display?

- What is the advantage of networking the transducers through an ITC-5 vs wiring them straight to the Raydata (assuming the Raydata can be networked, see attached)?

- I have attached a proposed network drawing, would you please review and let me know if I have it correct or if I need or should change anything?

Thanks,
Brian
12-12-17, 03:17 PM
Brian,

General comment regarding the system diagram ... the diagram looks fairly good save one item. While it is acceptable for an ACU-200/400 to supply power to the backbone of a small system (ex. MFD and Evolution autopilot components), it is considered a best installation practice to instead power the SeaTalkng backbone via a SeaTalkng Power Cable which has been interfaced to a spur socket positioned at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load.

Q1a. Are these transducers compatible with an ITC-5?
A1a. Yes
Q1b. If so, would I be able to use these with an i70s display?
A1b. Yes. If an ITC-5 is installed within a system, then in i70/i70S MFID must also be installed within the system.

Q2. What is the advantage of networking the transducers through an ITC-5 vs wiring them straight to the Raydata (assuming the Raydata can be networked, see attached)?
A2. Multi-point speed calibration would be possible for speed (STW) transducers which have been interfaced to an iTC-5. This will permit the reported speed (STW) to be accurate across a greater range of speeds. Additionally, should the Raydata not be a ST50+ Raydata, then it may not be used with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q3. I have attached a proposed network drawing, would you please review and let me know if I have it correct or if I need or should change anything?
A3. Seem my opening comment.

Thanks,
Brian
03-05-18, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-18 01:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, please disregard my previous post from today. After doing some additional searching within the forum, I discovered your reply regarding the depth sounder needed to be in at least 3 ft of water and receiving a return for the option to be selectable on the i70s.

Thanks,
Brian
03-05-18, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-18 09:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] System upgrade to new Axiom 9's, auto pilot, radar.
You're welcome.