Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 x Axiom Pro 12 RVX Connected to SeaTalkng
11-23-17, 10:10 PM
2 x Axiom Pro 12 RVX Connected to SeaTalkng
In a configuration where I have two Axiom Pro 12 RVX MFD's and one QC24 Quantum Radar all connected to a RayNet HS5 Switch... and all other devices are connected to a SeaTalkng backbone...

The sample designs I have seen, indicate only one of the Axiom Pro MFDs is connected to the SeaTalkng backbone where all other devices (iTC-5, MFIDs, EV-400, etc) are connected.

1. In such designs, the MFD connected to the SeaTalkng backbone must be POWERED ON for the other MFD to interact with the backbone, right?

2. Is it OK to connect both MFDs to SeaTalkng or will this cause issues?

I'm hoping this will allow me to turn either MFD on or off and still have full functionality from whichever MFD is powered up. Note: Both MFDs will have the same set of charts, so the charts are not an issue.

3. The Q24C Documentation says "a network switch can be used to connect the unit to more than 1 multifunction display" so I assume both MFDs can utilize/control the radar, even if one of the MFDs is powered off. Is this correct?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-17, 04:28 PM
RE: 2 x Axiom Pro 12 RVX Connected to SeaTalkng
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum rsqunit

Q1. In such designs, the MFD connected to the SeaTalkng backbone must be POWERED ON for the other MFD to interact with the backbone, right?
A1. Correct. Alternatively, you may want to consider interfacing both MFDs to the backone.

Q2. Is it OK to connect both MFDs to SeaTalkng or will this cause issues?
A2. Yes.

Q3. I'm hoping this will allow me to turn either MFD on or off and still have full functionality from whichever MFD is powered up. Note: Both MFDs will have the same set of charts, so the charts are not an issue.
A3. It is not recommended that two of any one type of chart card (Navionics, LightHouse, C-Map) providing coverage for the same geographic are be simultaneously present with the readers of the system's MFDs.

Q4. The Q24C Documentation says "a network switch can be used to connect the unit to more than 1 multifunction display" so I assume both MFDs can utilize/control the radar, even if one of the MFDs is powered off. Is this correct?
A4. Correct.
12-01-17, 09:27 AM
RE: 2 x Axiom Pro 12 RVX Connected to SeaTalkng
rsqunit,

As the Axiom Pro MFDs each feature two microSD memory card reader slots, it is certainly possible to have a microSD containing Navionics cartography within one of the microSD reader slots of one of the MFDs and to have a microSD memory card containing LightHouse charts within the MFD's other microSD memory card reader, or within that of the second MFD. It would not be advisable to purchase more than one MFD with the same cartography bundle ... this would be wasted money. In this case, it would be recommended that you purchase one of the MFDs with the Navionics bundle and the second without cartography. You may then purchase LightHouse Charts from Raymarine's LightHouse Charts Store and download them to a microSD memory card for use with your MFDs. I believe that you will find that the LightHouse US NOAA Charts cost less than $10 for the entire east coast (NOAA Vector - East) or entire west coast (NOAA Vector - West). I typically recommend that customers purchase a relatively inexpensive and commonly available microSD memory card having a capacity of 16GB or 32GB to permit them to additionally purchase and download the US NOAA Raster Charts for the same area, thereby providing the system with three different types of cartography.