Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help selecting new products
11-28-17, 09:01 PM
Need help selecting new products
I'm looking at doing a good bit of upgrading to my 1979 Tartan 37 this winter. The only two components I'm planning to keep are both Raymarine, so I'm wondering if Raymarine is the right way to go for the new components

The new components I'd hoping to buy:
* An MFD
* radome
* Forward facing sonar
* knotmeter
* AIS

What I'd like to keep:
* My existing wind instrument, which is an older analog Raymarine
* My existing autopilot setup, which is a ST 4000+

Obviously, the new components will be NMEA 2000, but the wind instrument is analog, and it appears that the autopilot is pre-NMEA 2000, and designed to be standalone. I'd like everything to be displayed+controlled on the MFD once the new system is together.

The biggest problem I'm having so far is understanding if+how I can integrate the two older components into a new NMEA-based system. I assume I'll need some sort of adapters/translator, but a few weeks of searching around on the Internet haven't done anything to demystify whether this is even possible, and how to accomplish it if it is.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-17, 01:44 PM
RE: Need help selecting new products
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wmoran,

Please note that Raymarine does not offer any forward looking sonar products at this time. Raymarine offers the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng (NMEA 2000) Converter Kit to support bridging data from many compatible legacy products having a SeaTalk communications interface (ex. ST4000+). The greatest level of autopilot integration (i.e. Autopilot Controls) would be achieved with a MFD running LightHouse II software (e.g. Wi-Fi equipped a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs) rather than a MFD running LightHouse 3 software (e.g. Axiom / Axiom Pro MFDs). However, the currently installed autopilot control head would need to be maintained / used for calibration of the autopilot, configuration of its performance settings, or for use of its sailing specific features. Depending upon the model of the other instruments installed onboard, it may be possible to bridge data from the instruments as well. If supplied with this information, further recommendations may be made.

A Quantum radome would typically be recommended for this application's radar needs. The system may also be fitted with an AIS350 AIS Receiver, Ray70 VHF Radio / AIS Receiver, or AIS650 Class B AIS Transceiver.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply