Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray70 VHF Connection to Axiom 9 via HS5
12-01-17, 03:38 PM
Ray70 VHF Connection to Axiom 9 via HS5
Currently replacing all the outdated electronics our "new to us" 1998 Carver 400.

I have purchased the following:

1. Axiom 9 MFD with Lighthouse Charts and Real Vision 600w Sonar - E70367-00-LNC
2. Axiom 9 MFD with Lighthouse Charts - E70366-00-LNC
3. Quantum Q24C Radar with Data and Power Cables - T70243
4. CPT-110 Plastic Thru Hull Transducer - A80277
5. SD-USB card reader - A80440
6. Navionics Lake Erie Plat Plus Card - 649p+
7. HS-5 Network Switch - A80007
8. Adapter Cable for CPT-s to Axiom - A80490
9. (2) Raynet Female to Raynet Female Cable - A62361
10. Ray70 VHF Radio - E70251

I'm planning on having both Axiom 9 MFD connect to the HS-5 via the two purchased raynet cables. I will also have the Radar connect to the HS-5 so that both screens can pull up the radar. The CPT-110 Transducer will connect to the Axiom 9 MFD with Real Vision using the Adapter Cable. I will connect the SD reader to one of the screens so they can be easily updated.

I would like to connect the Ray70 VHF to my established network so that the AIS will show up on the screens. From what I understand it should connect using the included sea talk cable however I'm not sure how to connect the sea talk cable to the HS-5.

My question: Im unsure what adapter cable I need to go from the Ray70 VHF sea talk cable to connect to the HS-5 which uses Raynet Cables.

Also let me know if the system layout I have established makes sense or if you think Im missing something.

Looking forward to installing all of this!

Thanks!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-17, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-17 04:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Ray70 VHF Connection to Axiom 9 via HS5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum BForsyth,

Q1. I would like to connect the Ray70 VHF to my established network so that the AIS will show up on the screens. From what I understand it should connect using the included sea talk cable however I'm not sure how to connect the sea talk cable to the HS-5.
A1. The HS-5 RayNet Network Switch is designed to support interfacing compatible devices having high data communications bandwidth requirements which additionally have an Ethernet communications interface (e.g. the MFDs and Quantum 24C). Devices needing lower communications bandwidth requirements (ex. GPS sensors instruments, VHF radios, AIS receivers/transceivers, etc.) will typically utilize SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications protocol or NMEA 0183 communications protocol. As both the Ray70 and the MFDs have a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, this communications protocol will be used to establish communications between these products. In short, a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will be installed having sufficient SeaTalkng spur sockets for each device which will need to be interfaced to it ... in this case the backbone will need to contain two additional spur sockets ... one for the Ray70 and the second for the MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to construct a simple backbone. As the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 socket of the Axiom MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable features a DeviceNet (M) socket, an A06075 1m DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Cable or A06045 0.4m DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Cable may be used to interface the Data Master MFD's SeaTalkng / NMEA to one of the backbone's spur sockets.

Other than the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone interfacing topic raised above, the rest of your suggestions appear sound.
12-05-17, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-17 10:48 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck!

I do not have any existing seatalk networking. Can I connect the ray70 VHS directly to the axiom 9 mfd or do I have to create a seatalk network with a backbone, end caps and power supply?

If I can't directly connect the two electronics.... what parts do I specifically need to order? Would I just have to purchase a seatalkng starter kit (T70134)? Does the seatalk cable that comes with the ray70 vhf connect to the starter kit? Do I need a special wire to connect the axiom 9 that's not included in the seatalk starter kit or the axiom 9 box?

Thanks!

Brandon
12-05-17, 11:37 AM
Brandon,

Q1. Can I connect the ray70 VHS directly to the axiom 9 mfd or do I have to create a seatalk network with a backbone, end caps and power supply?
A1. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. If I can't directly connect the two electronics.... what parts do I specifically need to order?
A2. Please refer to the FAQ addressing construction of a simple backbone within the FAQ referenced above. As cable length requirements vary with each vessel, cable part numbers cannot be specified. However, the SeaTalkng networking components and their respective part numbers may be found here.

Q3. Does the seatalk cable that comes with the ray70 vhf connect to the starter kit?
A3. Should the 400mm SeaTalkng Spur Cable included with the Ray70 be of sufficient length to permit it to be connected to one of the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone's spur sockets, then it may indeed be used in place one of the SeaTalkng Spur Cable referenced within the FAQ addressing how to construct a simple backbone.

Q4. Do I need a special wire to connect the axiom 9 that's not included in the seatalk starter kit or the axiom 9 box?
A4. Yes. Please see refer to the FAQ addressing how to construct a simple backbone.
12-09-17, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-17 10:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck!

I have now purchased the following to connect the Ray70 to my Axiom 9 MFD:

2 Seatalk Backbone Terminators (A06031)
1 Raymarine Devicenet Female Adapter Cable to Seatalk (A06045)
1 Raymarine Seatalk power cable (A06049)
1 Raymarine Seatalk 5 way connector (A06064)

Please correct me if I'm wrong..... but my understanding is since I do not have a existing seatalk network that I will be doing to following: My Axiom 9 screen has a device net plug coming out of the same plug that has its power wire. I will connect that to the Devicenet female to Seatalk adapter (A06045) which will then connect to one of the 3 open middle plugs of the 5 way connector. The two end plugs on the 5 way connector will have the sea talk backbone terminators. One of the middle 3 open plugs on the 5 way connector will have the Seatalk power cable and the remaining open plug will have the sea talk spur cable that came with the Ray70 connected to it.

Is this correct???

Question 2:

Does my other Axiom 9 Screen also have to be connected to the Seatalk backbone for it to display the AIS info from the Ray70? Or will my first Axiom 9 MFD share the info as it would share the sonar and radar data? Sonar is hooked up directly to my first axiom 9 mfd, radar is plugged into the HS-5 along with both Axiom 9 MFDs.

Question 3:

If it does..... what do I need to add since I've used all of the open ports? I would need a short Backbone Cable and a "T" connector?

Thanks!
12-11-17, 10:31 AM
Q1. my understanding is since I do not have a existing seatalk network that I will be doing to following: My Axiom 9 screen has a device net plug coming out of the same plug that has its power wire. I will connect that to the Devicenet female to Seatalk adapter (A06045) which will then connect to one of the 3 open middle plugs of the 5 way connector. The two end plugs on the 5 way connector will have the sea talk backbone terminators. One of the middle 3 open plugs on the 5 way connector will have the Seatalk power cable and the remaining open plug will have the sea talk spur cable that came with the Ray70 connected to it.

A1. Correct.

Q2. Does my other Axiom 9 Screen also have to be connected to the Seatalk backbone for it to display the AIS info from the Ray70? Or will my first Axiom 9 MFD share the info as it would share the sonar and radar data? Sonar is hooked up directly to my first axiom 9 mfd, radar is plugged into the HS-5 along with both Axiom 9 MFDs.

A2. Only the MFD which will be designated at the systems Data Master MFD need be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. When MFDs are interfaced to another via Ethernet communications (as is accomplished by interfacing the radar transducer and each MFD to the HS-5 RayNet Network Switch), then all resources and data will be shared among the system's MFDs.

Q3. N/A.