Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom Not Saving Quantum ID and PW
12-01-17, 08:19 PM
Axiom Not Saving Quantum ID and PW
I have a new Axiom 12 and a wifi/hardwire Quantum radar. I'm trying very hard NOT to have to run the data cable between the MFD and the radome, since the power is coming off the old analog radar cable and running a new data cable would be a difficult and costly job.

I have updated the MFD to the latests Lighthouse s/w.

Using the wifi to connect the MFD and the radar, the radar continues to be very intermittent. It will connect briefly, then drop the connection, which then takes a long time and several tries to re-connect.

Part of the problem seems to be that the Quantum pairing function can't seem to remember the Quantum's SSID or password! I enter the codes, being careful to hit save in both cases. Sometimes the Quantum connects; sometimes it doesn't. After connecting, if I try to use any of the radar functions, it disconnects. I finally discovered that at least part of the problem is that, even with the MFD power staying on, the pairing function loses the Quantum's SSID and password.

How do I get those codes to stay in the MFD's memory even when the power is turned off?

BTW, I THINK the installer put the MFD, sounder and radar all on one circuit breaker. Is that a problem?

Thanks for your help!
Oldersalt
Grand Banks 32 1990
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-17, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-17 07:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom Not Saving Quantum ID and PW
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum oldersalt,

I would recommend that any waypoint, route, and track data within the MFD be backed up and the a Factory Reset be commanded on MFD. Should the problem persist thereafter, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, it is recommended that the Quantum radome be powered from a circuit which may be switched ON/OFF independently from that of the system's other marine electronics. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommendations for powering the marine electronics. While it is possible for a single power circuit to supply power to the devices you have identified, it would not be considered a best practice and may have operational implications (ex. shutting down the entire system to wake the Quantum radome from sleep mode). Should the problem with the Quantum radome persist, then please indicate how much Wi-Fi signal strength in dB is being received from the MFD at the Quantum radome's location. Quantum 24W radomes are not suitable for all applications. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, insufficient signal strength may necessitate installation of a Quantum 24C with data cable instead of a Quantum 24W.
12-02-17, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-17 03:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks for the quick reply on a Saturday morning! I'll try the factory reset the next time I am on the boat. Also, after re-reading your posts, I realize I am supposed to test the w-fi connection by checking the MFD's signal at the radome, not the other way around!
Thanks again. Hopefully we will get this sorted out without having to rip out the headliner of the boat to install a new radar data cable!
Oldersalt
1990 GB 32
"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."
12-04-17, 03:37 PM
You're welcome.
12-05-17, 11:51 AM
2 related questions...

1. I did the factory reset and the Quantum ID and p/w are still quickly disappearing after being enter and saved. Any other ideas?

2. On the few occasions when the radar DOES operate, I measured signal strength at the MFD at -45, and just under the radome at -65. Should this be strong enough to allow the wi-fi to work properly, or should I just bit the bullet and figure out how to run the data cable?

Thanks,
Oldersalt
12-06-17, 10:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-17 10:43 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Oldersalt,

After having established communications with the Quantum Radome, the MFD should retain the Quantum I and password ... even if communications with the Quantum radome is intermittent. The measurement of the MFD's Wi-Fi signal strength at the MFD is within the -75 dB minimum specified within the Quantum radome owner's manual and the corresponding FAQ within this Forum. In this case it would be recommended that MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked with a Quantum radome and if necessary / serviced.