Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Trouble finding replacement for C80 MFD
01-23-18, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-18 02:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Trouble finding replacement for C80 MFD
Chuck,

I was finally able to determine that my course computer is a 150G AST. This relates back to the question of how to connect the Auto-pilot into a new STng backbone.

Thanks

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-18, 03:01 PM
Dave,

Should the currently installed autopilot course computer be a 150G AST as you have specified, then your Phase 1 diagram would be correct with respect to how the autopilot will be interfaced to the new system.
02-06-18, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-18 12:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I decided to go ahead and upgrade the auto-pilot at the same time as the MFD so I don't have to backtrack and get rid of the Seatalk-SeatalkNG conversion later. Two additional questions that have come up as I plan the updated installation:

1) Ok to use junction block D244 for the RS130 signal into the STNG backbone?

2)Everything I read in the various Ray manuals warns to only have one 12v power supply into a SeatalkNG network, but that doesn't seem correct. As planned, my SeatalkNG system would have a 12v supply for each of the following components: ACU200, Axiom9RV, SeatalkNG backbone, and Ray60. Can you confirm that all four 12v connections shown are needed and appropriate?

Thanks

Dave

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine System.pdf (Size: 133.26 KB / Downloads: 311)
02-06-18, 03:54 PM
Dave,

Q1) Ok to use junction block D244 for the RS130 signal into the STNG backbone?
A1) Negative. D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks are used to support joining devices having a SeaTalk interface to a SeaTalk bus and/or to one another. The Raystar 130 GPS Sensor does not have a SeaTalk communications interface. The Raystar 130 GPS Sensor has a SeaTalkng communications interface, and its 6m spur cable is designed to be directly interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone.

Q2)Everything I read in the various Ray manuals warns to only have one 12v power supply into a SeatalkNG network, but that doesn't seem correct. As planned, my SeatalkNG system would have a 12v supply for each of the following components: ACU200, Axiom9RV, SeatalkNG backbone, and Ray60. Can you confirm that all four 12v connections shown are needed and appropriate?
A2) Of the devices which you have listed, only the ACU200 is designed to supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As indicated in the FAQ addressing installation of power circuits it is considered a best practice to power the SeaTalkng backbone via a dedicate switched circuit rather than via the ACU200. Accordingly, it would be recommended that the ACU200's SeaTalkng Power switch be moved to the OFF position when installing the autopilot course computer. Of the devices which are shown within your diagram, only the EV-1 CCU, Raystar 130, and p70RS are designed to be powered by the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The remaining items will be powered via their respective power cables (Ray60, Axiom RV MFD) or power terminals (ACU200).
02-06-18, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-18 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Apologies Chuck--my GPS receiver is a Raystar 125 (not 130). So I currently have the Seatalk pigtail (R08050) connected to the SeaTalk1 port of my C80. I need to determine how to get that GPS feed into the new SeatalkNG network.

Thanks

Dave
02-07-18, 09:25 AM
Dave,

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would need to be installed as a backbone component. The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor may then be connected to the ST-STng Converter's SeaTalk socket. Should the Raystar 125 GPS's Sensor's cable not be sufficiently long, then its cable may be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block which may in turn be interfaced to the ST-STng Converter using the cable supplied within the E22158 ST-STng Converter Kit.
02-07-18, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-18 11:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you.

1) The Raystar 125 cable terminates in a male Seatalk1 fitting.

2) E22158 contains a yellow cable that has a male Seatalk1 fitting on one end and a yellow fitting that plugs into a Seatalk1-STNG converter on the other end.

3) How do I mate the two male Seatalk fittings without going through a D244 junction block? Is it preferable to cut the wires and splice them rather than going through the junction block?

4) If the splice is preferable, do the wires match color for color as between the SeaTalk pigtail (R08050) and the SeaTalk1-to-SeaTalkng converter cable?

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Dave

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Raymarine System.pdf (Size: 132.67 KB / Downloads: 303)
02-08-18, 11:04 AM
Dave,

Your latest diagram is correct. Please note that Raymarine has produced no SeaTalk cables having male pins. All SeaTalk cables having press-fit 3-pin plugs are female, as is the cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter kit. These press-fit 3-pin plugs are designed to be joined by a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. While it is also possible to splice these cables, it is not necessary to do so.
02-09-18, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-18 11:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck!
02-09-18, 11:06 AM
You're welcome.