Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Axiom network
12-16-17, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-17 10:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Axiom network
I have a 9" and 12" Axiom, quantum radar, and a Standard Horizon 2200 VHF for AIS data. What would be the most cost effective network protocol, cabling, and equipment
to make everything operational? I have the wifi/data cable model and would like to use the data cable rather than the wifi.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-17, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-17 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Axiom network
I have the wifi/data cable model and would like to use the data cable rather than the wifi.
12-19-17, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-17 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
eburt230,

In contrast to Axiom Pro MFDs, Axiom MFDs feature only one Ethernet Network socket. As there are three devices having an Ethernet communications interface which will need to be networked together, a HS5 RayNet Network Switch will need to be installed. The Quantum Data Cable may be interfaced one of the Ethernet Network sockets of the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Each of the MFDs would then be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. As the Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, communications with third party products would occur via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The MFD will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. As the GH2200 does not feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, its 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 I/O leads (see page 21 of the SH GX2200's Owner's Manual) will need to be interfaced to a 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.), which in turn will be interfaced as a spur the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
01-19-18, 04:12 PM
Chuck, I have a similar set up, Axiom 12, Standard Horizon GX2200, Quantum Radar and ST60 instruments. I plan on using the Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit. Planning on trying the wifi for the radar this season, but if I have connection issues a cable next year.
Would I still need the HS5 RayNet Network Switch? or can I plug everything into the converter. Can I use a cable like the Raymarine R08004 to connect the GX2200 to the converter? Also is it possible to use the blue connection points on the converter to plug in more devices before adding a 5-way connector?
01-22-18, 01:57 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Joljaz,

Interfacing instructions: Compatible Raymarine devices having an Ethernet communications interface are designed to communicate exclusively with other devices having an Ethernet communications interface via that interface alone. Of the devices which you have listed, only two (the MFD and Quantum radome) have an Ethernet communications interface. As the Axiom MFDs feature one Ethernet communications interface, the Quantum Data Cable may be connected directly to the MFD's Ethernet Network interface.

The unpowered SeaTalk bus interfacing the ST60 instruments will be interface to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The MFD's NMEA 2000 communications interface will be interfaced to one of the spur sockets (white) of the SeaTalk to SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter. Finally, the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device referenced within my initial response will be interfaced to the GX2200 and then to the remaining spur socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter via a second via a DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter. The supplied SeaTalkng Termination Plugs will be installed within the two backbone sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q1. Would I still need the HS5 RayNet Network Switch?
A1. No. See the instructions above.

Q2. Can I plug everything into the converter.
A2. No. See the instructions above.

Q3. Can I use a cable like the Raymarine R08004 to connect the GX2200 to the converter?
A3. No. See the instructions above.

Q4. Is it possible to use the blue connection points on the converter to plug in more devices before adding a 5-way connector?
A4. Negative. Only SeaTalkng Backbone Cables or SeaTalkng Termination Plugs may be installed within a backbone socket (blue). SeaTalkng Backbone Cables in turn may only be interfaced to one of the following:
- SeaTalkng T-Piece
- SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector
- SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- SeaTalkng Inline Terminator