Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] AXIOM PRO RVX
01-08-18, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-18 10:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] AXIOM PRO RVX
Hello I have a question on the new AXIOM PRO RVX, what benefit would I have if I just ran this with a 1kw B275L-HW or If I installed a CP470 and ran the same B275L-HW. Also what kind of performance can I expect on the 3d side if I ran a second transom mount transducer.
My boat is a 25 ft Hawaii fishing boat with twin sterndrive engines, I currently run another brand 50/200 1kw depth recorder with a B258 transducer mounting with a fairing block. will the B275 fit in the fairing block for the B258?
My goal is to find and track bait in the 60-120 feet, and bottom fish up to 1200 feet and also track tuna schools in deeper waters.
Thanks for any information I can get.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-18, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-18 11:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] AXIOM PRO RVX
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dmb,

Q1. AXIOM PRO RVX, what benefit would I have if I just ran this with a 1kw B275L-HW or If I installed a CP470 and ran the same B275L-HW?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. What kind of performance can I expect on the 3d side if I ran a second transom mount transducer?
A2. From an installation location standpoint, it is not recommended that transom mounted transducers be installed on the same side of the keel as are thru-hull (transducers, water pick-ups, etc.). From the standpoint of frequency interference, I would expect there to be little or no frequency interference between the 1kW CHIRP and RV transducers. You may want to consider installing the transom mounted 1kW CHIRP ransducer on the opposite side of the keel at the same height as the transom mounted RV transducer to avoid potential shadowing which may result when the transom mounted 1kW CHIRP transducer is installed too close and below the height of the transom mounted RV transducer.

Q3. Will the B275 fit in the fairing block for the B258?
A3. Raymarine 1kW CHIRP transducers are produced by Airmar, Inc.. I would recommend that this question be addressed to Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777)) for absolute confirmation.
01-10-18, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-18 11:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hey Chuck thanks for the reply, and the explanation on the differences between AXIOM AND CP470. The transom mounted transducer would have to be mounted between two sterndrive on the bottom of the V, will the sterndrives cause a blockage of the signal? Thanks Daniel
01-11-18, 11:16 AM
Daniel,

It is quite possible that the outdrives may interfere with some degree of the RV transducer's ability to view out to the sides of the vessel when the drives are in the fully down position. I have a single outdrive on my vessel and find that I need to raise it a bit to support side imaging to port side. Depending upon proximity of your drives, you may need to consider raising the drives as well or alternatively consider thru-hull RV transducers.
01-11-18, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-18 04:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Q1. Within the FAQ referenced in A1, it is suggested to go with the CP570 for best CHIRP sonar performance.

Q2. I own the CP470, first connected to a pair of a98 MFDs, and now interfaced to a pair of Axiom 9 RV MFDs. So now you say that you can achieve the same results with the onboard 1kw sonar installed on the Axiom pro?

Q3. Also, regarding the CP570, it seems to me that now that Axiom Pro exists, the CP470 doesn't have any reason to persist within Raymarine's fishfinder product line.
01-11-18, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-18 04:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Antonio,

Q1. Within the FAQ referenced in A1, it is suggested to go with the CP570 for best CHIRP sonar performance.

A1. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, of Raymarine's products capable of processing high power CHIRP sonar, the CP470 and internal CHIRP sonar of the Axiom Pro RVX MFDs are designed to provide the same level of performance. As is indicated on Raymarine's fishfinder web pages, the CP570 is designed to provide best-in-class target separation and high resolution CHIRP sonar imagery, in large part due to its 2 independent CHIRP processors.

Q2. I own the CP470, first connected to a pair of a98 MFDs, and now interfaced to a pair of Axiom 9 RV MFDs. So now you say that you can achieve the same results with the onboard 1kw sonar installed on the Axiom pro?

A2. Correct.

Q3. Also, regarding the CP570, it seems to me that now that Axiom Pro exists, the CP470 doesn't have any reason to persist within Raymarine's fishfinder product line.

A3. It is quite likely that the CP470 will remain within Raymarine's fishfinder product line to provide a less costly alternative to the CP570 for a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD and Axiom MFD owners seeking to add high power CHIRP sonar to their systems. As you have suggested, those purchasing new MFDs designed to run LightHouse 3 software may want to consider purchasing an Axiom Pro RVX MFD as an alternative to an Axiom MFD and CP470, as it may be the less expensive option. Please note that the referenced FAQ additionally provides reasons why an owner or installer may opt to forgo using the Axiom Pro RVX MFD's internal high power CHIRP sonar in favor of a CP470.
01-12-18, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-18 12:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
the only thing because I could stay with CP 470 is that it can use a 2kW transducer, or Axiom Pro could work too?
01-22-18, 01:32 PM
Antonio,

The maximum fishfinder transducer power output of the Axiom Pro MFDs is 1kW, while the maximum transducer power output of the CP470 and CP570 is 2kW. Accordingly, should the vessel be equipped with or should one desire to install a compatible 2kW or 3kW CHIRP transducer, then it would be recommended that a CP470 or CP570 be interfaced to the system.