Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Linking Classic E120 system to EV 200
01-29-18, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-18 11:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Linking Classic E120 system to EV 200
After successfully installing a new EV 200 auto pilot last year I didn't have much luck trying to interphase it to the older Path Finder displays I have onboard. With help from this forum I believe I had done everything right using the Sea Talk to Sea Talking converter, etc. OK, I give up.

I also have a second system onboard consisting of two E series MFD's that I guess I'm going to try to utilize this year instead. (for the record, I really preferred the Path Finders chart plotter over the E series. That's the only reason my first attempt was to link those with the new pilot)

My E Series system consists of a: E120 (used as a master) E80 (used as a repeater) DSM 300 fish finder, RS 125 GPS, SR100 weather and a SeaTalkhs network switch. Everything works great.

What is the correct procedure to share/ link what information my Classic E Series has with my new EV 200? I believe I have to use Raymarine cable A06061 and connect that to the E series Seatalk 2 port in the back of the unit. Does it matter if it is connected to the 120 master or the E80 repeater? I'm guessing master. And the other end, the white Seatalking connector, do I just plug that in to the EV 200 cabling backbone in a available white receptacle? I don't use that Seatalking converter for this set up, correct? Assuming this is all correct, is it ready to go as soon as I plug it in or do I have to go into the E Series menu and turn something on to make the Seatalking 2 port active (I thought I had read you had to do that somewhere) One final question, how do I handle powering the Seatalk 2/ Seatalking system? I also thought I had read the E series provides power thru the Seatalk 2 port but my EV 200 is already providing power to my Seatalking backbone?

Thanks - Walt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-18, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-18 11:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Linking Classic E120 system to EV 200
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Walt,

A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone must be installed to interfaced the Evolution autopilot components to one another. The Data Master E-Series Classic MFD and Evolution autopilot components should each be interfaced as individual spurs to the aforementioned SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Raymarine offers the A06061 / 4.92in (1.5m) E-Series Classic MFD to SeaTalkng Spur cable to permit the MFD's SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 socket to be interfaced as a spur to a spur socket within a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components. Should the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone not feature an unused spur socket, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to add spur sockets to a SeaTalkng backbone. Alternatively, should your Evolution autopilot feature a p70 or p70R Autopilot Control Head rather than the p70S or p70RS Autopilot Control Heads which replaced them, then would be acceptable to daisy chain the Data Master E-Series Classic MFD to the autopilot control heads second SeaTalkng port as long as
- the total number number of devices within the spur does not exceed three, and
- the total length of the spur cables used to create the spur does not exceed 6m.

The E-Series Classic MFD will additionally need to be updated with E-Series Classic MFD v5.69 software.
01-30-18, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-18 10:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks! OK, then pretty much just like I thought. Just for clarity, do I have to activate anything within the master MFD menu to start outputting data through its Seatalking 2 port? I read in one place:

"The SeaTalk2 port on an E-Series display is not normally active. You must go into the 'System Setup' menu and then into the 'System Integration Setup Menu' and change the 'ST290 System' setting to ON. This will make the SeaTalk2 port active. Communication with a SeaTalk NG network through this adapter cable will not be possible until this change is made"

And secondly, I'm still confused about introducing power to the communication system. I thought I also read that same Seatalking 2 port provides power out as well through the port for the network yet my Seatalking backbone already is being supplied with power a
nd I thought you couldn't have power entering from multiple points?

Thanks - Walt
01-31-18, 10:23 AM
Walt,

Q1. do I have to activate anything within the master MFD menu to start outputting data through its Seatalking 2 port?
A1. Negative.

Q2. I'm still confused about introducing power to the communication system. I thought I also read that same Seatalking 2 port provides power out as well through the port for the network yet my Seatalking backbone already is being supplied with power a
nd I thought you couldn't have power entering from multiple points?
A2. The only device produced by Raymarine which is designed to output power via its SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 port are the Evolution autopilot ACUs and the retired SPX autopilot course computers. These devices feature a switch control whether the ACU or course computer will be output power via the port. It is considered a best installation practice to power the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via a dedicated switched power circuit which is independent of the circuit supplying power to the ACU or course computer. In such installations, the witch controlliing whether the ACU or course computer will be output power via its SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 port will be moved to the OFF position.
01-31-18, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-18 03:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Roger!

Thanks Again! -Walt-
01-31-18, 03:33 PM
You're welcome.
02-28-18, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-18 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Well I got the A06061 cable. Turns out its about 2-3 ft. too short to reach my master E120 classic MFD. So, two questions...

(1) can it be connected to my E80 that I use strictly as a repeater instead as long as the master is on? The cable reaches where the E80 is easily.

(2) if not, does Raymarine make a extension cable that I can use to lengthen the A06061 cable?

Thanks - Walt
03-01-18, 09:29 AM
Walt,

Q1. can it be connected to my E80 that I use strictly as a repeater instead as long as the master is on? The cable reaches where the E80 is easily.
A1. The A06061 E-Series Classic to SeaTalkng Spur Cable may be lengthened by splicing a SeaTalkng Spur Cable of the appropriate length to the A06061 E-Series Classic to SeaTalkng Spur Cable ... maximimum length of this spur cable assembly must not exceed 6m. That said, a best installation practice would be to extend the backbone with an appropriate lenght of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable to be within reach of the A06061 E-Series Classic to SeaTalkng Spur Cable. A SeaTalkng T-Piece, SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector may be installed on the end of this SeaTalkng Backbone Cable to permit the A06061 E-Series Classic to SeaTalkng Spur Cable to be connected to the backbone.

Q2. if not, does Raymarine make a extension cable that I can use to lengthen the A06061 cable?
A2. Negative. Please see the response to Q1.