Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Multiple MFD installation - adding es127 to eS9.7
02-03-18, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-18 11:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Multiple MFD installation - adding es127 to eS9.7
HI,

We are replacing an E120 with an eS127. The new es127 should network to an X30 Course Computer, and eS9.7, a to-be-installed wireless radar, and an existing Vesper AIS Transponder hooked into the e9.7 via NMEA 0183. At present the eS9.7 connects to the course computer via an NG Spur running through an E22158 converter. Our ST instruments are wired into the Course Computer.

Questions:
1. Can I add an NG Spur from the eS127 to the E22158 converter? If so, what data will move from the 9.7 to 127 and back? How do I maintain autopilot control at one MFD or the other?

2) Should I get the AIS data to the eS127 via the NG connection or direct wiring to the AIS via the NMEA 0183 cable coming off the eS127?

3) Does radar data exchange require the HDMI connection? Does chart screen exchange require HDMI? What screen data can be shared over NG?

4) The old e120 used the middle port on the E22158 converter. Can I simply move the cap over and use an end position to add the es127's NG spur cable? Is cable #A80159 suitable for this path? Our cable length requirement exceeds 10'.

Best Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-18, 11:56 AM
RE: [CA] Multiple MFD installation - adding es127 to eS9.7
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jil,

Q1. Can I add an NG Spur from the eS127 to the E22158 converter? If so, what data will move from the 9.7 to 127 and back? How do I maintain autopilot control at one MFD or the other?
A1. This is not the proper method to interface the second MFD to the system, will prevent sharing of resources between the MFDs, and will limit data shared between the MFDs. Instead, the second MFD should be interfaced to the first MFD via Ethernet communications. Only the MFD which will be configured as the system's Data Master MFD will need to be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.
Within a simple system such as this the two MFDs would be interfaced to one another via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q2. Should I get the AIS data to the eS127 via the NG connection or direct wiring to the AIS via the NMEA 0183 cable coming off the eS127?
A2. See the response to Q1. When so interfaced, AIS data received by the eS97 MFD will be shared with the eS127 ... along with all other system data, cartography, radar, fishfinders, etc.

Q3. Does radar data exchange require the HDMI connection? Does chart screen exchange require HDMI? What screen data can be shared over NG?
A3. Negative. Radar will be shared via the Ethernet communications path identified within the response to Q1.

Q4. The old e120 used the middle port on the E22158 converter. Can I simply move the cap over and use an end position to add the es127's NG spur cable? Is cable #A80159 suitable for this path? Our cable length requirement exceeds 10'.
A4. Negative. See the response to Q1 addressing how the new MFD should be interfaced to the system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply