Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Will a speaker magnet interfere with a Radar Dome
02-09-18, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-18 02:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Question [CA] Will a speaker magnet interfere with a Radar Dome
I have recently purchased a 34' Silverton. I have attached one of the sales pics. It has a radar mast starboard side visible with a Raytheon Dome to a Chartplotter C80.

The PA/Foghorn speaker is currently located on the bridge downslope.
I would like to relocate this to minimize magnetic compass interference. I tested on my old boat, with a box compass, and determined that its specific PA speaker can deflect a needle slightly up to 6' or 7'.

I was eyeing the radar mast. I could sling the PA speaker horizontally under the radome plate and keep it elevated over the head.

Question: Will the magnetic field that deflects the compass needle create interference or distortion in the Radome? Either in reception or signal processing?

I find the speakers are directional to a point, and I don't want to lower it to blast myself if driving on the bridge. High up is bad enough.

I do have a an alternate to go to the bow, as a high power searchlight on a plate is being added to the bow rail, but I find PA's don't like a lifetime of seawater ingestion, water resistant or not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-18, 02:55 PM
RE: [CA] Will a speaker magnet interfere with a Radar Dome
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum,

Q1. Will the magnetic field that deflects the compass needle create interference or distortion in the Radome? Either in reception or signal processing?
A1. No and No.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply