Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interfacing EV-400 autopilot to E 80 classic
03-30-16, 08:49 AM
Interfacing EV-400 autopilot to E 80 classic
I am replacing my Smartpilot with a new EV-400 Sail autopilot. I have an E 80 MFD as a data master connected to a E 120 MFD as a repeater through seatalk hs. My st60 instruments and gps are connected to the E 80 seatalk 1. AIS with a dedicated gps is connected to the NEMA 183 on the E 80. I have a NEMA 2000 backbone connected to the seatalk 2 port on the E 80. My question is can I install the EV-400 autopilot with the seatalk ng backbone then connect the seatalk ng to the NEMA 2000 and leave everything else as it is? Will I get heading data from the autopilot to the E 80?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-16, 12:05 PM
RE: Interfacing EV-400 autopilot to E 80 classic
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum wlector,

The upgrade should begin by ensuring that the E-Series Classic MFDs have been updated with v5.69 E-Series Classic MFD software.

The SeaTalk bus should be disconnected from the E80's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable. Instead, a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be installed as a backbone component within the NMEA 2000 backbone. For more information on interfacing the SeaTalk devices to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone, click here. Should the NMEA 2000 backbone be constructed from third party products featuring DeviceNet Micro-C plugs and sockets, then the adapters found here may be used to mate the SeaTalkng interface of Raymarine products to such plugs and sockets. It is also possible to splice a SeaTalkng backbone cable to a third party backbone cable to created a blended backbone. Doing so may make it easier (fewer adaptations) for you to install the Raymarine products.

Regarding your heading question, heading from the Evolution autopilot will be received by the MFD via its SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 socket and will be used by the MFD.
03-30-16, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-16 11:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I am not sure why I have to disconnect the seatalk1 instruments from the E 80 and move them to a Seatalkng converter. Everything seems to be working fine with them hooked to the seatalk port on the E 80.
03-31-16, 11:34 AM
wlector,

After upgrading an E-Series Classic MFD with v5.69 software, the SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 port of the MFD will function as a SeaTalkng port. However, unlike the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, software development/updates for the E-Series Classic MFDs ceased several years ago. Correspondingly, the software for the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has continued to evolve permitting it to be the most capable and complete SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging product offered by Raymarine. As such, should the marine electronics system expand or be upgraded to include a SeaTalkng backbone, then retired MFDs having a SeaTalkng interface should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and will instead be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone. All communications between the MFD(s) and the legacy SeaTalk devices will then occur via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which is installed within the SeaTalkng backbone.
04-01-16, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-16 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Installed all and works great.
One other question. I have not connected the NEMA 2000 backbone to the Seatalking backbone. The NEMA gets power from the Yanmar can bus when the engine is running, the Setalkng gets power from the autopilot when the instruments are on. Is it OK to connect them, or do I need to change something.
04-01-16, 01:58 PM
wlector,

I'm glad to learn of your success. However, while it is permissible to splice the backbones from to marine electronics manufacturers, marine electronics must not be directly an engine manufacturers backbone. Instead, the two backbones should remain separate and an engine gateway would be installed to bridge data between the two backbones. In this case, Raymarine's ECI-100 Engine Gateway may be appropriate. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.