Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] T221 Wireless Mast Rotation sensor and wind calculations
02-21-18, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-18 05:20 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] T221 Wireless Mast Rotation sensor and wind calculations
(second thread focusing on Mast Rotation and wind data)

I’m thinking of expanding an existing Raymarine/TackTick wireless system that has:
- Speed/depth transducers with hull transmitter (T121)
- Dual display (T111)
- Racemaster (T070)

Specifically, I’d like to add:
- Wireless wind transducer (T120)
- (Likely) Wireless mast rotation compass (T221) since we’re on a multihull with a rotating mast
- Axiom MFD on a NMEA 2000 backbone

(1) On which devices does the MicroNet network calculate the mast rotation angle and wind data (AWA, TWA, TWD)?

I might in the future replace parts of the Wireless system with NMEA 2000 components. So will MicroNet continue to calculate Mast Rotation/AWA/TWD/TWA if:
(1a) I remove the T121 hull transmitter and speed/depth transducers (replacing them with NMEA 2000 data via the Micro-Talk Gateway)?

(1b) I do not have a Analog Wind display (T112)? I plan to just use the current Dual Display (T111) for wind calibration, and NMEA 2000 displays / plotters after that.

My current thinking: so long as the T111 display does all the rotation and wind calculations, then I just need to keep the T111, the T120 wind transducer, and the T221 mast rotation compass, to still have functional mast rotation/wind data (so long as the other necessary input data like HDG, BSP comes in via the Micro-Talk Gateway)? Is that correct?

(2) Does the Axiom MFD recognize/display the mast rotation data from the Micro-Talk Gateway? (the Micro-Talk Gateway manual says that Mast Rotation is passed on to SeaTalk NG, but I'm not sure what for). What does the Axiom do with the mast rotation data, if anything?

Thank you! There's limited information for us sailors who'd like to use the Mast Rotation sensor in a mixed wireless-NMEA 2000 system, so I appreciate the help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-18, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-18 04:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] T221 Wireless Mast Rotation sensor and wind calculations
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum galacticair,

Q1a) If I remove the T121 hull transmitter and speed/depth transducers (replacing them with NMEA 2000 data via the Micro-Talk Gateway)?
A1a) Yes, we have system packs like the i70 wireless system pack (T70347) that do this exact calculation.

Q1b) I do not have a Analog Wind display (T112)? I plan to just use the current Dual Display (T111) for wind calibration, and NMEA 2000 displays / plotters after that. My current thinking: so long as the T111 display does all the rotation and wind calculations, then I just need to keep the T111, the T120 wind transducer, and the T221 mast rotation compass, to still have functional mast rotation/wind data (so long as the other necessary input data like HDG, BSP comes in via the Micro-Talk Gateway)? Is that correct?
A1b) Yes

Q2) Does the Axiom MFD recognize/display the mast rotation data from the Micro-Talk Gateway? (the Micro-Talk Gateway manual says that Mast Rotation is passed on to SeaTalk NG, but I'm not sure what for). What does the Axiom do with the mast rotation data, if anything?
A2) The Axiom MFD displays the Mast Rotation angle to viewed.
03-21-18, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-18 08:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck - thank you again for your answers. Very helpful!

Can you be more specific on how the Mast Rotation is actually passed to the Axiom via the Micro-Talk gateway? The Micro-Talk gateway manual says that mast rotation is passed to SeaTalkng but I don't see what PGN that would be. For example, there are several PGNs that could be used to pass mast angle data:
127237 Heading / track control
130577 Direction data
130306 Wind data

Do you know which PGN is used? I'm trying to figure out if other N2K instruments I have might display the rotation data.
03-22-18, 10:49 AM
galacticair,

Mast rotation is a custom PGN that is transmitted from the puck and there is a data item in the LightHouse 3 software that will show mast rotation. It is essential to have boat heading in the system, whether from an Evolution CCU (EV-1/EV-2) or from a Tack Tick compass. This enables the Micro-Talk Gateway to transmit the corrected wind info out too.