Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Display example(s) of HD open array radar interfaced to E-classic MFDs
03-03-18, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-18 03:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Display example(s) of HD open array radar interfaced to E-classic MFDs
Hi Chuck / Derek or users of the forum,

I'm wondering if there are any images or videos of the current generation open array, HD radars as they are displayed on the E-classic MFDs? My interest is to see the screen resolution and crispness of the image displayed. I've seen the radar on current generation chartplotters like the eS series or gS series, but wonder how comparable that is the older technology of E-classic's.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-18, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-18 04:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Display example(s) of HD open array radar interfaced to E-classic MFDs
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Lothar,

As the screen resolutions of eS-Series MFD's are the same as those of the comparable sized E-Series Classic MFD, you may want to look at screen snapshots of the eS-Series MFDs and/or visit a dealer who has an eS-Series MFD within their inventory. A screen snapshot of an eS-Series MFD displaying its Radar application page may be seen below:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1658]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-05-18, 06:21 PM
Great, thanks.
03-06-18, 09:50 AM
You're welcome.
09-03-19, 09:34 AM
Hi there,

I'm reviewing the install instructions for the Magnum open array. I'm planning a two step upgrade of my system, first with the radar upgrade to a Magnum 48" 4kw interfaced to a pair of networked E-Classic MFDs, then a subsequent upgrade of the plotters to Axiom's.

The radar install manual says a number of features won't work with the older plotter, I'm fine with that with the exception of 'No Real Time Heading'. What does that mean? The E-Classic plotters are able to take the pilot heading (S3G pilot currently installed) and rotate the radar image to keep it in sync with the map data. So how will this be different with the newer radar?

As I understand it, the interface of the new radar will be directly to the HS switch to network radar data to both the Master and Slave plotters. Since I'll be eventually upgrading to Axiom, I'm thinking of installing the standard Raynet version of the radar cable and just adding a short Raynet to Seatalk HS adapter for the HS switch interface, make sense?

With the E-Classic, it provided power for the older analog radar I currently have. Now with the Magnum and the VCM module, power will be independent of the on/off status of the E-classic plotter. Are there any considerations beyond having an independent fuse/breaker for the VCM power interface, ie, if the VCM sees power applied without the plotter being on, will it simply power up in standby and sit dormant, drawing standby power until the plotter is on-line and commands the radar to spin up?

Do you have any other cautions about a configuration of dual E-Classics with a Magnum open array radar?
09-09-19, 01:07 PM
Lothar,

Q1. The radar install manual says a number of features won't work with the older plotter, I'm fine with that with the exception of 'No Real Time Heading'. What does that mean? The E-Classic plotters are able to take the pilot heading (S3G pilot currently installed) and rotate the radar image to keep it in sync with the map data. So how will this be different with the newer radar?
A1. Magnum radar pedestals do neither produce or use heading data. Instead, 10Hz heading data, such as that produced by the NMEA 0183 Port 1 Output of the S3G, may be used by the MFD to maximize performance of the MFD's radar overlay feature and to support MARPA features.

Q2. As I understand it, the interface of the new radar will be directly to the HS switch to network radar data to both the Master and Slave plotters. Since I'll be eventually upgrading to Axiom, I'm thinking of installing the standard Raynet version of the radar cable and just adding a short Raynet to Seatalk HS adapter for the HS switch interface, make sense?
A2. I believe that you're on the correct track. Should the system currently include a SeaTalkhs Network Switch, then there would be no reason to replace it with a HS5 RayNet Network Switch unless the SeaTalkhs network switch was no longer operational or was otherwise showing signs of wear (contact corrosion, etc.). Raymarine offers the A80513 RayNet (M) to RJ45 Adaptor Cable to permit a Digital Radar Cable having a RayNet (F) Plug or RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable to be mated to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch. Similarly, should there currently be SeaTalkhs Cables which are in good shape, then they may be adapted with an A80272 RayNet (M) Pins to SThs (M) Socket Adaptor Cable to be mated to the Axiom MFDs.

Q3. With the E-Classic, it provided power for the older analog radar I currently have. Now with the Magnum and the VCM module, power will be independent of the on/off status of the E-classic plotter. Are there any considerations beyond having an independent fuse/breaker for the VCM power interface, ie, if the VCM sees power applied without the plotter being on, will it simply power up in standby and sit dormant, drawing standby power until the plotter is on-line and commands the radar to spin up?
A3. The answer to your last question is yes. The only thing which one should consider when switching off the pedestal power is to command the pedestal into standby before switching off the pedestal power.

Q4. Do you have any other cautions about a configuration of dual E-Classics with a Magnum open array radar?
A4. Negative.
09-09-19, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-19 10:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks for the reply. One follow-up. You didn't quite address the aspect of question one, relative to the statement in the Magnum manual where it says "No Real Time Heading". It's unclear what is not provided, for as you said and I was assuming, the E-classic plotter will use vessel heading data to 'rotate' the radar image received and keep it overlaid with charter map data during a moderate rate turn.

So what's the manual trying to say?

One more question. I’m not finding the legacy install materials for the open array analog radars, circa 2006. Is it possible the mounting [censored] pattern an d sizing has not changed and would therefore be identical to the new Magnum Radar?
09-10-19, 10:18 AM
Lothar,

Raymarine MFDs running the latest LightHouse 3 software and have been interfaced to a heading source, a GPS input, and a Magnum radar will, in real time, orient the Magnum radar's image spokes overlaid within the Chart application or the Radar application. In contrast, when a Magnum radar is used with other Rayamrine MFDs (which in turn use software other than LightHouse 3), the Magnum radar's image spokes overlaid within the Chart application or the Radar application will be oriented once with each sweep of the radar.

Regarding the mounting templates for older open array pedestals, they indeed have not yet been posted with the manuals for Raymarine legacy radar products. However, the bolt pattern for the Magnum radar pedestals is identical to all of the radar pedestals produced by Raymarine going back as far as the hsb Pathfinder Series Radar Pedestals of the late 90's / early 2000's timeframe.
09-10-19, 02:47 PM
Got it, thanks.
09-11-19, 07:06 AM
You're welcome.