Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) Rotating mast, Tacktick wireless and EV-100
11-01-19, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11] Rotating mast, Tacktick wireless and EV-100
Hi Derek and all,

some more feedback regarding my wind instruments and mast rotation transmitter (MRT), particularly so that future users of this equipment don't have to go through the process that I went through (and am still going through).

Firstly, the compass deviation manoeuvre required to activate and calibrate the MRT cannot be done without the Compass Hull Transducer (CHT). The digital display unit required to perform the manoeuvre absolutely requires the signal from the CHT. It will never perform the calibration if the heading data is coming only from a SeatalkNG bus via the Microtalk Gateway (MG), even when you can see that the boat heading data is being received by the display unit.

(This meant that my old entry level hull transmitter was incompatible and had to be replaced by the T121 hull transmitter, which is capable of receiving an input from the CHT.)

Secondly, the MG heading data always takes priority over the CHT heading data, so if the MG is active at the time of attempted calibration, the calibration manoeuvre will not work (it never activates on the display unit). The MG must be turned off for the calibration to activate and complete using the heading data from the CHT.

Thirdly, after activation and calibration have completed successfully, if both the T121 and the MG are active, the analogue wind display unit will prioritise and use only the MG heading data, and will ignore the heading data from the CHT. This means that the analogue display unit will not be using the input with which it was calibrated, and so the integrated wind direction output may be way out, depending on the error between the CHT and the SeatalkNG heading data.

I had major trouble until I worked out what was going on, as I had mounted my CHT facing in the opposite direction to my EV-1 "gyroscope" unit, so there was roughly a 180 degree error between the CHT and the MG inputs to the analogue wind display unit. After realising this, I reversed the CHT mounting (put it on the other side of the bulkhead) and performed the calibration again, which (mostly) fixed the problem, although there was still the fundamental problem of the display unit integrating an input (from the MG) with which it was not calibrated. This meant that there still appeared to be quite a bit of inaccuracy with regard to the displayed wind direction, depending on the boat's heading in relation to wind direction.

The solution, in the end,was to fit the Raymarine Wireless Transmitter (T122) with the Actisense NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter, and get rid of the MG. This was a shame, as the MG is a much newer and neater product than these two older products, and much easier to install. However, now my wind analog display unit is now (I think) always using the heading input with which it was calibrated, even when the EV-1 is active and outputting data through the Actisense converter and wireless transmitter.

I'll pass on my thanks to Raymarine Sydney, who, even though they didn't know any of the above solutions when I first approached them, were instrumental in helping me work them out.

Now the system is almost fully operational. Roughly once every two or three days on the water, the wind analogue display will lose some vital part of its network and read --- for wind speed and lock the direction arrow. This is always fixed by switching the instruments off briefly.

The final ongoing problem is that, with apparent winds forward of somewhere between 60 and 90 degrees, on either tack, the wind direction arrow flips 180 degrees and can remain stably flipped for up to several minutes before flipping back. This is not a problem when helming manually during daylight, but is an immediate major problem on autopilot in wind vane mode, and, I imagine, would be a confusing factor while helming manually in darkness. This problem is bothering me enough that I'll create a new thread for it.

Nick
F-32 "Amazon"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-19, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Nick

I believe the issue is bacuase there are two heading sensors in the system - is this correct?

I can confirm that an Ng source of heading (normally EVO) is valid for calibrating the Mast rotation Transducer.

In respect of multiple sources on the wireless network, this network is only designed for a single source of each data type so having both a hull transmitter with a fluxgate compass and Ng heading will cause issues.

The issue of differing mast angles Vs heading is well understood. The EVO provides heading at 10hz from a modern mem’s sensor where as the mast rotation transducer is a fluxgate operating at 1hz. This does cause some errors particularly during fast turns.

Thankyou for your feedback as this is very useful for other users.
Regards
Derek
11-07-19, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,

thanks for your reply.

I tried many times to get the Micronet digital display unit to do a deviation calibration manoeuvre using only the heading input from the EV-1 via the Microtalk Gateway, and it would never activate the manoeuvre, even though I could always see the heading on the display. I was only able to activate the manoeuvre for the first time when I borrowed a T121 and a CHT.

After I had my own T121 and CHT, I could only make the deviation calibration start if the Microtalk Gateway was turned off. I did an experiment, repeatedly switching the MG on and off, and the calibration would only initiate when the MG was off.

So, politely, I have to question last year's suggestion that the wind indicator system on my rotating mast will function with the EV-1 and the MG. I certainly would concede that it may work with a heading input from the EV-1, transmitted to the Micronet via the T122/ Actisense converter rather than the MG, and I intend to give that a try when I'm next on the boat. The MRS manual states clearly that the T122 can be used to provide the heading input for the deviation calibration manoeuvre.

Do you think that if I disconnect the CHT, then I may fix my needle flipping problem, as there would then be only one source of heading data on the Micronet, coming from the EV-1?

Regards,
Nick.
11-07-19, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 12:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the feedback, the tests we carried out here prior to passing the Microtalk puck for sale all involved using it to supply heading to the wireless system to be used with the MRT, so I really dont understand why this is not working in your installation.

You should disconnect the fluxgate compass connected to the Wireless transmitter so that there is only one source of heading in the total network, this will resolve the conflict between the two compass inputs.

Thanks
Derek
11-08-19, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-19 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,

I agree that the Microtalk Gateway puck can supply the heading data to the analog wind display after a calibration manoeuvre - I too was able to make this work. The problem for me was that heading data from the puck could not be used to initiate the calibration.

Were you able to do the deviation calibration manoeuvre in the lab using only the wind instrument, the MRS, the analog wind display, the digital display and the Microtalk Gateway (proving SeatalkNG heading data), and with neither the T121 nor the T122 in the system?

Regards,
Nick.
11-25-19, 10:41 AM
RE: (DG) Rotating mast, Tacktick wireless and EV-100
Dear artemidorus,

When calibrating using the Tacktick heading the progress is reported against the fluxgate calibration, the Mast transducer calibrates in parallel but is not reported and completes in less angular change than the Fluxgate compass.

When calibration is initiated with a EVO heading source the MRT enters calibration mode but progress is not reported. Once a calibration has been achieved the MRT will start outputting mast angle.

Many Thanks
Louise