Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Can't calibrate wind transducer through i70s
03-06-18, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-18 04:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Can't calibrate wind transducer through i70s
I just installed an iTC-5, an i70S and an i60 wind instrument. I’ve connected the existing ST-50 era wind, depth and speed transducers to the iTC-5. I’ve updated the software on all components to the latest versions. The iTC-5 shows steady green lights for the wind and depth transducers and a flashing green for the speed transducer.

When I try to calibrate the transducers through the i70S, the depth works fine (and the depth shows up over the Seatalkng network on the e9 chartplotter), the speed transducer is not detected and so I will replace the paddle wheel insert. The wind transducer calibration starts with telling me to “turn vessel in a circle”, which I do and then I get the message “keep turning” (see attached image). I expected to turn twice to complete the calibration, but even after six or more circles, the “keep turning” message is still displayed and nothing on the i70S display changes.

I checked the voltages on the wind transducer wires at the junction box at the base of the mast and at the iTC-5. All were within the ranges described in the relevant Raymarine forum article, except that red to shield was 7.75 volts DC steady at both test points. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-18, 04:25 PM
RE: [CA] Can't calibrate wind transducer through i70s
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

Wind transducers which had been designed for use with ST50/ST50+ Wind Instruments cannot be calibrated by a ST60+ Wind Instrument or a i70/i70S MFID which has been interfaced to an iTC-5. The currently installed transducer will need to be replaced with an E22078 Wind Vane transducer. Regarding the speed transducer, it will not be sensed by the iTC-5 until it senses motion of the transducer's paddlewheel. When sense, the iTC-5's Speed/Temp LED will switch from flashing green to being solidly illuminated green.
03-07-18, 10:58 PM
Thanks Chuck, for your quick reply. So it’s time to replace the wind vane. I read on page 18 of the in the “Short & Long Arm Wind Vane Installation Instructions” that “When replacing an existing wind vane you can either fit the new wind vane complete, or you can connect your new wind vane to an existing base. The wind vane can also be connected to an older style base”.

Will the Raymarine ST60 Wind Vane Transducer, part number E22078, or the Short arm wind vane transducer (no cable) part number R28170 fit on my existing ST-50 era (1995) wind vane base? If so, the installation will be much simpler as I can reuse the existing wind vane base and cable.
03-08-18, 09:32 AM
John,

Q. Will the Raymarine ST60 Wind Vane Transducer, part number E22078, or the Short arm wind vane transducer (no cable) part number R28170 fit on my existing ST-50 era (1995) wind vane base?
A. Yes.
03-21-18, 10:34 PM
My rigger went up the mast and installed the new wind vane on the old wind vane base yesterday, and today I took the boat out and calibrated it - only one circle needed. I replaced the speed transducer paddle wheel and connected it to the iTC-5. Now all my new instruments are working correctly. What a big improvement!
03-22-18, 09:08 AM
You're welcome.