Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[LW] [LW11] interconnection of new AXIOM to existing SPX 10 autopilot
12-09-18, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-18 04:43 AM by Louise - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[LW11] interconnection of new AXIOM to existing SPX 10 autopilot
I have the following existing Raymarine equipment on my sail boat:

- SPX 10 autopilot course computer with fluxgate compass
- ST 6002 pilot controller
- ST60+ graphic display for all data on the seatlalk network
- ST60+ tridata display with depth, temperature and speed sensors
- ST60+ wind display with wind speed and direction sensors

All the above instruments are presently on a seatalk network and work fine so far

I am adding the following Raymarine new equipment:

- Axiom 7
- Quantum radar
- AIS 700

I am planning to link these new instruments on the following manner:

- Axiom 7 and AIS 700 on two spurs of a seatalkNG properly terminated backbone
- Quantum radar linked to the Axiom 7 by wifi

I would like to interface these two existing seatalk and new seatalkNG networks together in order to have all the data available to all the instruments on both networks, in particular wind, depth, temperature, speed, magnetic heading, ect ect available on the Axiom 7 seatalk NG network form the ST60+ instruments network, as well as waypoints data, xtrack error, gps position, time, SOG, COG, et ect available on the ST60+ and SPX10 autopilot seatalk network fromthe Axiom7 seatalk NG network.
To achieve this, I plan to use a third spur on my new seatalkNG backbone and to connect this spur to the existing seatalkNG connector of the SPX 10 autopilot course computer.
I assume that the SPX 10 autopilot course computer will have the same functionality than a seatalk to seatalk NG converter and that therefore I do not need to install a seatalk to seatalk NG converter in my circuit and most importantly that all the data will be converted and transfered from one network to the other.

In short I see the following possible options:

1) interface from seatalk to seatalk NG networks thru the SPX 10 autopilot course computer as described above

2) interface from seatalk to seatalk NG networks with a seatalk to seatalk NG
converter

3) interface from seatalk to seatalk NG networks both thru the SPX 10 autopilot course computer and with a seatalk to seatalk NG converter

Could you please tell me what solution you would recomend to insure that all data is properly transfered fromone networkto the other.

Thanks in adavance

Best regards

Serge CAMPLAN
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-18, 09:30 AM
RE: [LW11] interconnection of new AXIOM to existing SPX 10 autopilot
Dear estrace,

Thank you for your query.

The best solution is to use the Seatalk to SeatalkNG Converter 5-way block to convert all Seatalk devices to STNG. (E22158)

The SPX10 although has Seatalk and SeatalkNG connections it does not bridge and convert data like the Converter block.

My recommendation would be to set up a SeatalkNG Terminated Backbone including the Seatalk to STNG Converter, spur off the Axiom, AIS700 and SPX10. Connect all the other Seatalk products, ST60+ including the ST6002 on Seatalk and connect to the yellow connector of the Converter.

All data will flow correctly in this configuration.

Many Thanks
Louise
12-15-18, 06:47 AM
RE: [LW11] interconnection of new AXIOM to existing SPX 10 autopilot
Thanks Louise, I will wire everything like you said

Regards

Serge

(12-10-18 09:30 AM)Louise - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Dear estrace,

Thank you for your query.

The best solution is to use the Seatalk to SeatalkNG Converter 5-way block to convert all Seatalk devices to STNG. (E22158)

The SPX10 although has Seatalk and SeatalkNG connections it does not bridge and convert data like the Converter block.

My recommendation would be to set up a SeatalkNG Terminated Backbone including the Seatalk to STNG Converter, spur off the Axiom, AIS700 and SPX10. Connect all the other Seatalk products, ST60+ including the ST6002 on Seatalk and connect to the yellow connector of the Converter.

All data will flow correctly in this configuration.

Many Thanks
Louise