Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] deep water and cp200
03-14-18, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-18 09:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] deep water and cp200
I like to fish tuna during the summer offshore in about 2000' of water. I set the clearvision or downscan unit for the top 150' and watch for fish under the boat. Is it possible to use the cp200 to sidescan for fish in the upper water column without having it search for the bottom? If there was a way, that would be a real step up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-18, 09:41 AM
RE: [CA] deep water and cp200
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Sallysea,

Unlike other sounder technologies, SideVision technology is neither designed to report bottom depth nor autoranging. As such, it may indeed be used to scan the upper portion of the water column as long as you understand its limitations. Specifically, the fore/aft cone angle must be considered. The cone angle of each of the CPT-200 transducer's elements is approximately 60 degrees in the side to side axis and 1.4 degrees in the fore/aft axis. Given the narrow fore/aft angle, the CP200 will be most effective in identifying objects and structures when the vessel is moving forward or drifting rather than anchored.
03-15-18, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-18 11:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Interesting, we do not anchor, we troll normally. It seems that I should set the transducer elements to the most shallow to catch schools of fish off to the side. Your thoughts?
03-15-18, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-18 11:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Sallysea,

Our experience has found that when the CPT-200's elements are located in the middle position of the mount, then the CP200 will scan from the surface downward. Accordingly, I would recommend starting with the transducer's elements in this position and then adjusting them if needed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing addressing the maximum distance for SideVision sonar imaging.
03-23-18, 01:17 PM
I have a completed the installation of the transducer and in reviewing the instruction manual, it stated that the unit should only be turned on when it is in water. It implied there is an overheating issue if you run the unit dry. I occasionally run my MFD while the boat is on the trailer to remain familiar with the software. How much time do I have running the cp200 dry before this overheating becomes an issue?
Last, is the cp200 unit functioning all the time or only when I call up the sidescan in the software?
03-23-18, 02:02 PM
Sallysea,

Unless the sonar channel has been configured to not ping, then transducer will ping irrespective of whether a fishfinder pane with the corresponding channel is being viewed. However, the pings are not being processed into sonar imagery unless a fishfinder pane with the corresponding channel is being viewed within the system.

Unless operated for extensive periods of time, it would be unlikely that damage would be caused to a CPT-200 or CPT-100's elements. The same cannot be said for high power CHIRP transducers and it would correspondingly be recommended that the power cable for a CP470, CP570, or CP450C be unplugged before powering the marine electronics if the vessel is not located in the water. It would also be considered to be a best practice to unplug a CP100, CP200, or CP370's power cable before powering the marine electronics if you will be regularly operate the marine electronics while the boat is out of the water.
03-23-18, 03:23 PM
Thank you for the information. It is easier to unping than unplug.
03-23-18, 03:31 PM
You're welcome.