Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(DG) Can I use a P70R control head on a sailboat?
03-15-18, 01:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-15-18 07:49 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
(DG) Can I use a P70R control head on a sailboat?
I just purchased a new Smartpilot SPX5 wheelpilot for my Humter Vision 32, only to find it came with the P70R control head vs the P70 which is designed specifically for sailboats. My question is: can I still use the P70R control head on my boat, or will I not be able to calibrate it properly? The relevant documentation appears to be missing from the Raymarine website ( at Least to my iPad) as it just states that the P70 was designed primarily for sailboats, and the P70R for powerboats. The documentation that comes with the wheelpilot does not even mention the P70R, and refers exclusively to the P70 for set up and calibration.
Now what?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-18, 07:58 AM
RE: (DG) Can I use a P70R control head on a sailboat?
Hi Joe O'D

Thank you for your enquiry.

The p70R and p70 will both operate the autopilot correctly and enable access to the full calibration,all calibration settings are stored in the computer and the control unit just provides access to this.

The operation is clearly slightly different, one has a knob to control the selection and a combination of clockwise and anticlockwise rotation as well as a 'push' operation will enable you to navigate the menus successfully, whereas the other uses a keypad - the end result will be the same.

Either control unit will work perfectly well on either sail or power boats.

regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply